Quick way to get photos from cell phone to laptop?

Name
Gerard
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for an easy, faster way to download the photos on my Samsung phone to my laptop with Windows 11.
I don't want to do this via Google (cloud, etc.), nor via a Microsoft account or something like that.
I'm currently trying to do this via Bluetooth, because my laptop doesn't recognize my phone (the cable connection between phone and laptop is not recognized!) this is very cumbersome and if the Bluetooth connection happens to work, I can only copy photos piece-by- piece and not a complete folder of files at once.
Does anyone know a good solution without me being tied to logging into Google and/or Microsoft accounts or creating a cloud storage etc., because I don't really feel like doing that.
Thank you all in advance. Gerard

I just email a photo to myself. However, this likely wouldn't work with a batch of pics.

It depends how many photos do you have. You could compress the photo folder into a .zip file and then send via a data transfer service such as we transfer. Free of charge for up to 2gb and don't need any accounts setup just email address.

PS. I'm sure you've done this but when connecting your phone to the computer via cable you need to unlock your phone for the computer to 'see' it.

Last edited:
Bit of wire, connect USB on laptop to power socket on phone,laptop should see the phone as an ext drive.
The charging cable should be OK if it transfers data

I installed a WebDAV server on my phone and connect directly to it either with a browser or as a network drive over WiFi.

Cloud is the easiest, don't know if we could help with your reason for not wanting that?

USB cable is next easiest as mentioned.

Just as a matter of interest what phone have you got?

I'm looking for an easy, faster way to download the photos on my Samsung phone to my laptop with Windows 11.
I don't want to do this via Google (cloud, etc.), nor via a Microsoft account or something like that.
I'm currently trying to do this via Bluetooth, because my laptop doesn't recognize my phone (the cable connection between phone and laptop is not recognized!) this is very cumbersome and if the Bluetooth connection happens to work, I can only copy photos piece-by- piece and not a complete folder of files at once.
Does anyone know a good solution without me being tied to logging into Google and/or Microsoft accounts or creating a cloud storage etc., because I don't really feel like doing that.
Thank you all in advance. Gerard
I assume your Samsung phone runs Android, so would assume you already have a Google account and Google drive on the phone.

While you say you don't want to use something like Google - it really is the easiest solution, as you can just copy the photos on your phone to it's Google drive, then on your laptop just log into your Google drive via a browser and download the images.

I assume your Samsung phone runs Android, so would assume you already have a Google account and Google drive on the phone.

While you say you don't want to use something like Google - it really is the easiest solution, as you can just copy the photos on your phone to it's Google drive, then on your laptop just log into your Google drive via a browser and download the images.
Photos taken with an android 'phone are already in Google Photos surely. Selecting Google Photos on the laptop will show them. It is just a question of selecting and then hitting download. Unzip the downloaded folder and put the resulting images in a folder of your choice.

Anthony

Photos taken with an android 'phone are already in Google Photos surely. Selecting Google Photos on the laptop will show them. It is just a question of selecting and then hitting download. Unzip the downloaded folder and put the resulting images in a folder of your choice.

Anthony
It all depends how the phone is setup. If the automatic back up option is not enabled then no the photos won't be in Google photos. As far as I remember the option is off to begin with so it needs turning on.
Screenshot_20240322_194454.jpg

I use Syncthing. Install it on PC and phone, and they sync when they are both on the same Wifi network. I sync photos and other things too over my home wifi. If you leave the network, the sync pauses and continues as soon as you are back.
It's open source too. https://syncthing.net

Last edited:
Quickshare from google connects direct to laptop or PC from pixel phone anyway - no cloud involved.
It's via home wifi so not blazingly fast but not slow either - the fastest way will be connect cable and I'd probably do it that way for more than a handful of photos or one video.
I don't routinely use google photos you would need back up turned on and it would be uploading everything no need for that with occasional fun photos on phone.

Last edited:
I use Syncthing. Install it on PC and phone, and they sync when they are both on the same Wifi network. I sync photos and other things too over my home wifi. If you leave the network, the sync pauses and continues as soon as you are back.
It's open source too. https://syncthing.net
I also use Syncthing. Works a charm and as it's all on your local network there's no slow, privacy invading cloud involved.

You may need to tell the phone to work as a "USB File transfer" device in the settings. That might solve the "phone not talking to the computer" problem.

A potentially helpful link here:

As others have said, for a bunch of photos I use the USB cable, although still find it a bit of a pain as it seems very slow to find all the files. For a few that I want quickly I WhatsApp to myself - I have WhatsApp for Windows on my laptop - although it doesn't keep the original names.

Why not just use a camera to take photos with?????

Last edited:
Well personally I do most of the time. But there are always occasions when you don't have it, for instance I don't ski with a camera.
You could try to ski with a camera under each foot fitted with a tripod plate. Seems logical to me

Last edited:
Back