Quoted battery life

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The quoted battery life on my 50d batteries is 800 shots, I was shooting with a battery grip and 2 genuine batteries at the weekend when I arrived home I had 1911 photos I estimate I had taken over 2000 but was deleting some as I went along. My battery meter is still showing maximum. According to the manual the next drop on the meter is "Battery level is slightly down but adequate power remains" after 2000 shots on 1600 shots worth of battery it hasn't even dropped on the meter!

I'm not complaining but is this usual!?

I was shooting full size raw and was using IS and continuous focus, I thought this would have eaten through the battery.

What have you been shooting? And were all those shots in one day/quick succession? If so therein lies your answer.

I always found shooting motorsport all day giving me loads of shots per battery compared to a few day to day shots over a longer period of time :) I don't know if its down to battery degradation for a period of time after charging it, or the act of not turning it off and on again or what that causes it. I assume 800 will be a safe estimate for a variety of shooting :)

Last edited:
There are set protocols for stating battery life and they include using flash.

Typically for DSLRs I get many more shots than stated, for CSCs I get less.

Lots of rapid shooting on continuous will see far more shots than the battery is rated for. However, the other week I Was out shooting with lots of slow, careful composition with live view being used a great deal for levelling the camera and manual focusing, and I flattened a EN-EL15 and only took 50 shots! LOL

The rear screen and flash eat batteries and as Ned said, the expected figures include flash use - in the case of my D750 (the only manual I have beside me ATM) they test with the flash firing every other shot and also cycle AF from MFD to infinity.

Back