RAC Rally - Kielder

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Had a very long day of photography yesterday. A bit of landscape at sunrise, a few hours of following the Kielder and Otterburn Stages of the RAC and then topped it off with a bit of astro after dark.

I've done a bit of rally stuff before and I love it but, though I'm happy with the technicalities, I was getting a bit bored with quite generic results, i.e. nice sharp head on stuff, nice pans but 100 pictures looking more or less the same. So this time I made a very conscious effort to not worry too much, about technicalities and to try and be a bit more creative. I deliberately shot a bit of wide stuff, wandered around a lot, stepped back a long way, got low, got high etc and a fair bit of very slow shutter stuff too. Funnily enough, some of my favourites from the day are technically hopeless! Would appreciate the thoughts of others.

Great event by the way. 300 stage miles this year and 100 entries. Was fantastic viewing.

[000129].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000176].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000193].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000211].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000288].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000308].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000316].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

[000369].jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

Love #11. The Alitalia Stratos must be the most beautiful car ever sent into the forests.

I remember pushing Born Waldegard's Strata out of Radnor one year. It weighed nothing even with the two of them sat inside. It was little more than an engine on four wheels.

Just lovely.

Love #11. The Alitalia Stratos must be the most beautiful car ever sent into the forests.

I remember pushing Born Waldegard's Strata out of Radnor one year. It weighed nothing even with the two of them sat inside. It was little more than an engine on four wheels.

Just lovely.

The Stratos sounded wonderful too. Was a spectacle. Just for you:

GRA_3560.jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

The noise of that Ferrari engine. Just magic. It was just so smooth. You could tell it was coming 5 miles away.
Wish I could afford one. Wish I could drive one to its full abilities.

#308, is that a Hillman Avenger!

Car's from my childhood/youth. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed looking at these.

Love the composition of 11 with the s shape track in the vertical l, very well balanced and nice autumn colour too.

Love the composition of 11 with the s shape track in the vertical l, very well balanced and nice autumn colour too.

Thanks Craig. I don't think I'd have shot that type of thing in the past. Always been a little too focused on capturing the cars nice and sharp and have't spent enough time thinking about creating interesting photos and showing some context. I took far fewer shots this time out but most were planned in advance and that one is a good example.

Back