Raducanu-Martinez Final TV

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This certainly is a Hot Topic. I've just found out that Channel4 are showing this final live starting at 8.00pm but the actual match doesn't start until 9.00pm. The reason I'm posting this is because Chn4 must have been awarded the rights quite late as it's not listed in the TV listings. It's also on Amazon Prime. BBC will show highlightrs tomorrow. Interestingly, I read that, like Fernandez, she was born in Canada but her parents moved to the UK when she was 2 years old.

This article is dated today. https://inews.co.uk/sport/tennis/us...vs-leylah-fernandez-amazon-prime-time-1192531

Yes, she was born in Canada to a Romanian father and Chinese mother and moved to the UK when she was 2.

I can't for the life of me work out why you think this is a Hot Topic

Yes, she was born in Canada to a Romanian father and Chinese mother and moved to the UK when she was 2.

I can't for the life of me work out why you think this is a Hot Topic

'Cos it seems everyone and their auntie are talking about it. It's maybe my interpretation of what Hot Topics mean, Marc.

I've just checked the forums and see that it should have gone into Talk Sports. :rolleyes: Could you, maybe, move it ?

This certainly is a Hot Topic. I've just found out that Channel4 are showing this final live starting at 8.00pm but the actual match doesn't start until 9.00pm. The reason I'm posting this is because Chn4 must have been awarded the rights quite late as it's not listed in the TV listings. It's also on Amazon Prime. BBC will show highlightrs tomorrow. Interestingly, I read that, like Fernandez, she was born in Canada but her parents moved to the UK when she was 2 years old.

This article is dated today. https://inews.co.uk/sport/tennis/us...vs-leylah-fernandez-amazon-prime-time-1192531

This explains things better ...

All my Aunties are dead, and I've never heard of her.

Moved into talk sports where I can avoid it (y)

I've got no aunties left either. I was going to say 'everyone and their dog' ..the more common phrase but of course dogs don't talk do they..lol..

I'd never heard of her either but we're going to hear a lot more of her from now on. Amidst the gloom of Covid with it's mortality numbers and cases aired on TV news bulletins each evening, travel restrictions, shortages of all sorts of items including food, the announcement of tax increases, government debt running at 106% of GDP (£2,224.5 billion as of March this year.. :eek: ..with all the implications of that) ..etc etc.. to watch an 18 year old Brit win the US open was truly uplifting. Such a lovely person too, intelligent and articulate. What a tonic.:)

Thanks for moving it.

47810881-9982295-image-a-10_1631434386098.jpg

She should write back and sign it 'Emma R'.

It was a great final and well done to both participants for playing at such a high level.

The big point for me is about the ability to watch on a free to air terrestrial channel and what that meant to viewing numbers particularly across demographics. The fact the Government, who have an anti immigrant agenda, are looking to make capital on this isn't lost on me either.

I am a sports fanatic but do everything I can not to put money into Sky TV owners pockets. That means I watch lots of local football and Rugby but hardly watch any sport on TV. I'd love to see the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 be allowed by law to broadcast major sporting events. Make it part of the conditions of broadcast or if held on these Isles a condition for the event to take place. If we have got Britain back, no laughing at the back, then let's put sport back on free telly. It encourages participation and is brilliant for bringing people together. Channel 4 need applauded here for paying a massive fee to allow the likes of me the opportunity to watch such a momentous match and see a big moment in the early part of what will be a huge career.

If you want to start spouting politics, take it to the Hot Topics forum. Not here.

And by the way, what you are proposing has been in place since 1996.

Back