RAF Coningsby - Typhoons, Harriers and a Tornado....

Edit My Images
Yes
Spent Thursday at RAF Coningsby. I was hoping to catch the Typhoon airshow display practice but he didn't go up so I made do with shooting some of the locals.

The weather wasn't the best with harsh sunlight casting shadows in the morning and black clouds closing in at lunchtime.

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

Since I was waiting for the Typhoon display that never came I didn't move around the airfield as I usually would so after a while I started to get a bored of the same shots. I decided to play with my settings. Panning at 1/100s and 1/50s to try to decide if IS on telephotos is a good thing or not. I'm not closer to a conclusion but here are a couple of photos. :D

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Great set, as always. The latter two have a stronger sense of speed to them from the panning, but it might be too much....can't decide!

The earlier runway shots were done at 1/250s which is my normal setting. The Harrier (shot #3) was 1/160s as he was moving slower than the Typhoons.

The last two posts are 1/100s and then 1/50s. I think it is too much. I think 1/160s maybe a bit much as well. 1/200s to 1/250s is about right. Makes a bit of a change to throw one in ever so often though. :naughty:

Hi Gordon

Great set of pics there, all of them are ace really. However, I'd like to ask you do you ever get approached by the Military (or other) Police or Security Services when you are outside the perimeter fence of a MoD establishment taking photographs...? I live not too far from RAF St Athan where they do repair work on a range of aircraft so it might be interesting for me to take a day trip down there sometime, but I wouldn't want to fall fowl of the law.

What's your advice...? Do I need permission or a permit...? Or can I just snap away...?

Thanks.

Hi Gordon

Great set of pics there, all of them are ace really. However, I'd like to ask you do you ever get approached by the Military (or other) Police or Security Services when you are outside the perimeter fence of a MoD establishment taking photographs...? I live not too far from RAF St Athan where they do repair work on a range of aircraft so it might be interesting for me to take a day trip down there sometime, but I wouldn't want to fall fowl of the law.

What's your advice...? Do I need permission or a permit...? Or can I just snap away...?

Thanks.

good shots :)

In the 80s I used to go to cottesmore, there was a really good spot on a B road right next to the taxiway

one day I got there and they'd built a 10 foot high mesh fence right where everyone stood, it was obviously put up to put us off as it only went 40 feet and you could walk round it to get onto the base

the MPs drove past and looked at us a few times but as we were on public land there was nothing they could do.

Thanks all!

Nope, no permission or permits are needed. In the UK we are lucky; photography and spotting is generally tolerated at airbases although there are some airbases that are more sensitive than others. Your best bet is try to find a spotters guide or an aviation group that covers the place you want to visit and check out the situation with them first. I'm not aware of anything from St Athans as it isn't the busiest place but I have seen a few cracking shots from the place.

You maybe approached by staff or security whilst there. Most of the time it's just a check to see what you are up to and they can actually be helpfull in telling you what is going on. :naughty: If you are asked to move on I do but most of the time they don't have the power to do so as the vast majority of the land is either public access or farming (private) land (again check the situation before going) but they can call the local Police out who could find something to move you on for. It's a call for you to make. I think we have things quite good (compare Greece!) and if we don't play ball things will change.

One bit of advice, don't use a ladder that rests on the fence. Step ladders or any other free standing device is fine (even seen a couple of guys use the roofs of there cars! :wacky:). All the airbases are sensitive to anything that will potentially damage their fences.

@wack61, I still go to Cottesmore. The fences at the end of runway 22 are still only just above waste height but the section by the road now has a building blocking it.

very nice Gord - hope to see you on the hills soon !

Like the slower speed panning shots but all very good imo :)

I hope to be back on the hills soon but the weather isn't playing ball so far! :shake:

They are cracking shots. I see nearly enough of the Euro Fighter, I live just over the river from Conningsby.

On a plus side, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight pratices over my house in the summer. But why is it they fly over when you are completely unprepared?!

Excellent shots Gord! :) What Camera/lens were you using?

Back