RAF Dominie - end of the line this month

Edit My Images
Yes
ISD 1964 - OSD 2011

Just to let those who don't know already, it appears to be confirmed that the Dominie fleet is to be retired from service at the end of Jan 11.

Apparently, on 17/01/11 there's to be a series of fly-pasts planned over Rolls-Royce Filton, RAF Lyneham, RAF Brize Norton, RAF Wyton, and RAF Marham.

I wonder if those who are braving the Mach Loop atm will get the chance to see one before they go!

Dom-01.jpg

That'll be why I saw 2 formations of 3 flying over yesterday. It'll be for a photo shoot.

Kev.

I'am sure that i once heard that the dominie is one of mr Shore's fav aircraft:LOL::LOL::LOL:

on a serious note it's one less aircraft for us to photograph :(

pmsl @ Kev S :LOL:

The thing is;

The way the MOD aircraft fleet is going, just think how staid things *could* be when you venture out the mach-loop etc. It'll just be shots of Tonkas, Hawks, Bufoons, and as Kev put it, bloody KingAirs (which continue replacement domination taking over from the RN Jetstream TMk2, going out of service March 2011)...!

Over the last couple of decades or so there's been a lot of types destined for bean-cannery and/or museums, many before the end of their useful life:

Harriers, Sea-Harriers, Phantoms, Buccaneers , Lightnings, Hunters, Jags, Dominie, Jetstream, etc, etc...

pmsl @ Kev S :LOL:

The thing is;

The way the MOD aircraft fleet is going, just think how staid things *could* be when you venture out the mach-loop etc.

LOVL

Squadron Leader's mountain bike. Training flight's tandem c/w potato sacks for NV training.

Squadron Leader's mountain bike. Training flight's tandem c/w potato sacks for NV training.
Been there, done that ;)

When compared to the sharp & pointy stuff it's certainly 'Gentleman's low-level', with tea & stickies thrown in for good measure :LOL:

The Dominie was certainly alongside types such as VC-10 when it came to extremely safe, reliable, and value for money service to the RAF. What with clocking up over the 45 years service, there can't be many other military types globally that come close to this sort of service record?

Tis a sad thought. Really is. :crying:

Kev.

Aye mate, bleak! :(

Unfortunately the list ^^^ grows when you consider the heavier stuff; Nimrod (R1, MR2, MRA4), C130K (OSD 2012), VC10 (OSD soon too), 'that' Global Express (only a few years to OSD).

That's norwithstanding; Victor, Andover, Shackleton, etc! Vulcan XH558, will that continue or be destined to be a ground exhibit or flown over the pond for a life doing the circuit in North America?

Last edited:
Back