RAF Leuchars Airshow

Edit My Images
No
Its in Spetember and I wna to go :)
This'll be my first time shooting airplanes.
My kit will be:
Pentax K10D
Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax 55-300mm
Tamron 500mm mirror lens
Velbon Monopod (maybe)

I'm guessing speeds of 1/250 - 1/500 should freeze most planes there. I should keep on the lower end or even 1/125 to get some propeller movement?

I've checked their website and read allot of references to reserved areas and exclusive access... As anyone gone there before? Can I take photos of static planes up close with regular ticket?

Any prefered locations? Should I go really early, is it hard to get the good shooting spots?
Since the show runs from morning till afternoon the sun's position will change and I should move to avoid shooting into the sun and getting dark backlit plane.
Any experiences you might share will be very welcome.

I'm guessing speeds of 1/250 - 1/500 should freeze most planes there. I should keep on the lower end or even 1/125 to get some propeller movement?
overall but some of the fast jets on their fast passes will be going 500mph so basically the fastest shutter that you can manage.

I've checked their website and read allot of references to reserved areas and exclusive access...
enthusiasts' package sold out in a matter of days. (I should be on it :cool:)

As anyone gone there before? Can I take photos of static planes up close with regular ticket?
been going for years.
sure you can but you'll want in real early or stay behind after the crowd has gone to get better pictures.

Any prefered locations? Should I go really early, is it hard to get the good shooting spots?
show centre
yes
not if you go early

Since the show runs from morning till afternoon the sun's position will change and I should move to avoid shooting into the sun and getting dark backlit plane.
you'll pretty much be shooting into the sun all day - it's a horrible show from that pov but it's a great show overall :)

Cracking airshow but, as Heidfirst said "shooting into the sun" :-(

First time for me as well - group of 5 of us going - got our tickets and parking space ticket through a month ago - can't wait :D

If you want in-flight shots, the best position is outwith the aerodrome, on the road to St. Andrews down from the station. That way your back is to the South with no backlight.

[Aberdonian mode]And saves on the entry fee too[/Aberdonian mode]

Well I for one will be quite happy to have the shooting into the sun problem this year after last years debacle!

agreed but the weather is outwith the control of the organisers ...
the participants list is still continuing to improve too - E-3D flythrough, E8 on static ... :)

Its in Spetember and I wna to go :)
This'll be my first time shooting airplanes.
My kit will be:
Pentax K10D
Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax 55-300mm
Tamron 500mm mirror lens
Velbon Monopod (maybe)

I've checked their website and read allot of references to reserved areas and exclusive access... As anyone gone there before? Can I take photos of static planes up close with regular ticket?

Any experiences you might share will be very welcome.

If you've never done an airshow before, start at 1/320 (400) for props and work your way down once you have a few shots under your belt. Shooting at 1/125 sec unless your very practiced at panning and can pan very smoothly, you won't have a very good success rate. As for jets, you're looking at 1/800 to 1/1250 sec for them and stick with those shutter speeds.

AISERVO, single focus point and think about +/- 1/3 or 2/3 exposure compensation depending on the light conditions. Check you histogram to see whether your are overexposing or under exposing the shots. ISO settings 200-400.

Light conditions will be very important, try and keep the sun behind you if you can, or at least take shots with the sun to your side, otherwise they will be featureless black shapes.

Your mirror lens will be very slow focusing, these lenses aren't fast, most being f8, so you'll need good light (which you can't always guarantee), so you main lens will be the 55-300mm. Try and wait until the aircraft is 2/3 full frame before taking images, small dots don't make good images and forget about a monopod, it will only get in the way.

Peter

tx for the input.

Yeah the monopod was already on my list of dispensable items.
From the orientation of Leuchars runway, I'm guessing the only time to really avoid sun in front is later in the evening, but the best show will likely be during 10-12 and early afternoon. It'll be tough.

I'm hoping for a bright day, I dont want to go very high ISOs.

If you want in-flight shots, the best position is outwith the aerodrome, on the road to St. Andrews down from the station. That way your back is to the South with no backlight.

[Aberdonian mode]And saves on the entry fee too[/Aberdonian mode]

Or go on the Thursday/Friday before and catch the arrivals and maybe practices.
Avoid the cost and crowds.

Best advice if your going from Edinburgh is go by train the early bird one as the traffic is pretty horrendous around the base - both before and after is a nightmare
train stops a 5 minute walk away from the main gate and negates all that

as for shooting you are looking into the sun all day so expect to be deleting huge amounts of pics

the best pics on offer are from outside the base IMHO plus you get nice shots of them Taxi in
as for using a mirror lens well my advice would be sell it and get a lens that will be able to track a fast moving aircraft
sorry if that sounds harsh but I have never seen a picture yet - of a fast jet using a mirror lens that is worth a carrot
friday is media day so a few of the aircraft will display then
last year I went to the media day and the main show, the Vulcan flew in Blue Skys on the friday, then show was a wash out with torrential rain for long spells

A few shots from 2006 to give you an idea of whats on offer
107821598_mmEAh-L.jpg

107821588_pxgon-L.jpg

107821731_erm5M-L.jpg

from outside

107821611_Ngbzj-L.jpg

107821564_KJc6t-XL.jpg

107821760_EGDuB-L.jpg

hope that helps
Chris

Hell, I like that one of the Tornados landing. Almost looks set up :) Did you take that on the way into or out of the show?

Back