RAF Rescue Sea King very low

Edit My Images
No
Heard the sound of the RAF Rescue Sea King practicing with the local RNLI Lifeboat about an hour ago so grabbed the camera and ran outside. Headed right for the clifftop running through shoulder high nettles and grass (Im stung to hell as a result).

When the crew noticed me they did a series of low passes so I could get some shots.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these guys and the work they do. Anyone who saves lives deserves your support.

4700793956_8548ee8b53.jpg

4700170847_9538a623d1.jpg

4700177243_c295c3ac0c.jpg

4700152295_a3765e997d.jpg

This is only a small sample, there are over 90 in total. I will upload the rest to my Flickr tomorrow and post the better ones here

Nice set. Could just do with a bit slower shutter speed really to help show some blur in the rotors.
Still nice though. (y)

Kev.

Hate to be a downer but the shutter speed is way too high. The rotors have very little to no blur. Also, with helicopters, you don't always need the entire length of the blades in the shot. These can be framed out a lot of the time. There is a fine line between framed out and cut out though,...

There's some really good info elsewhere in the forum [think it's one of the tutorials? :shrug:] on shooting choppers [no, not in "Nudes and Glamour" :naughty:] - I seem to remember the suggestion is ~1/150th for shutter speed. I suspect different choppers will have different speeds, but that should get you somewhere close.

Some nicely framed shots in there though. (y)

I just stuck the camera into one of the modes and snapped away, more concerned with taking advantage of the situation presented to me than going for any kind of artistic flair. I didnt know how long they would be around for.

It should be back for an RNLI fundraiser later in the year so I can try again if Im around, hopefully get some better results.

Sorry they are not to everyone's taste, but then thats the joys of photography.

Back