Railway at night, Help please

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I'v got the chance to go on the railway while the guys are welding the track at night, tried this before and the shots came out rubbish(could post to show if you promise not to laugh) becose the light from the weld is blinding and the other light source is two haligen lights on a tripod, i can never get the balance right, i should point out that i cant ask the guys to pose and i cant touch they lights(or add lights ie flash etc).
any help would be greatfully recived.
:stupid:

Shoot Raw which gives you more processing leeway, and tend towards under-exposure. Over-exposure will be the crippler as it will kill all the atmosphere of your shots. You should be aiming for good shadow detail with the stark welding lights really standing out. :) I wouldn't use flash anyway.

Stick one of your shots up, it might help a lot.

I would just post one of your shots madpup, it's the only way most people can help you out. I've had my share and still do of rubbish photos, nobody laughs around here,promise. They all just want to help. It's a good bunch here.

Cheers,

Jewel. :)

opps deleted it
but iv got one that i did on me camra phone,
should give you some idea, sorry this shot is worst than the others i had.

CT i'll give that a go in raw,
thanks

Well it gives a good idea. :) Try to position yourself so that the light from the welding flash is lighting up the welder's face or his mask, some tightish shots or crops on that theme can be very effective. Take some shots of the wider view too and move around trying all the angles. Try to keep your shutter speeds reasonably short to stop the light trails from the welding torch building up like a firework display as they have in your phone shot. If you keep your shots on the dark side and shoot RAW you should get some really dramatic shots.

I'll look forward to seeing the shots. :thumb:

Be careful not to look directly at that welding torch. Welding flash is bloody painful! :icon_eek:

Try and judge when the welder is about to finish a weld and start your exposure just before he does, use the 35-105 at the long end, as open as you can get it and try to set up some of the shots so that the welding light is out of frame as CT says.

Use a tripod and a remote control if you have one.

Great example shot here :- http://www.royalty-free-pictures.com/shopimages/products/normal/bk00104-welding.jpg

I would agree with most comments above....use RAW, go for a dark shot using body as sihouette against bright welding. Also try "slow synch" flash , plus some more with full blown flash to freeze action. Also think B&W conversions could work well with some of the shots . Basically just fire off tons of shots with differents setups. Can't wait to see the outcome.....could make a good shot for this months comp ;)

Welders came on after my shift but im up there all week, hopfully i have some shots to post here soon, also DJW, that the sort of shot im hoping to get.

Back