Railway line and train

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken in Plympton area, southwest uk.

6053_111555068369_108593128369_2266772_6021985_n.jpg

I see what you are saying about wanting to see more of the train, and I agree, I think it would look a lot better. I'll keep trying :)

I hadn't thought of that, I will try to find another location where I can get to easily (this place isn't that close to me) but will definitely try getting some from each way and seeing which works best. Thanks for the tip :)

As above really, the making of a nice shot.

If it were me i'd have moved to the left a bit (still kept the track coming into the frame from the bottom right) and waited for a train to come in the opposite direction.

Of course this would look much better with a steam train :LOL:

I hadn't thought of that, I will try to find another location where I can get to easily (this place isn't that close to me) but will definitely try getting some from each way and seeing which works best. Thanks for the tip :)
I see you're in Newquay. There's a bridge right outside Par station and if you look towards Plymouth from that bridge, there is a nice curve into the station and old semaphore signals you can frame a shot with.

No problem. I am not sure how into railway photography you are in particular, but you could do a lot worse than pick up a book on Cornish railways to get some idea of good locations for shots. You'd better make sure it's a fairly recent one though, because many of the vantage points with shots I have seen from the 70s and 80s are now overgrown.

If you want something a bit older to photograph, get yourself to The Bodmin and Wenford Railway which is a preserved line with both diesel and steam.

Well, I'm not really into railway photography that much. This was a shot that I took as I was walking over a bridge and I actually quite like it as a first attempt (albeit and snap shot so to speak) and wouldn't mind trying to improve it :)

Thanks for the tips :)

Railway photography is by far and away what I've done the most of, but I haven't spent much time photographing railways out in the countryside. Most of my stuff has been station based.

Funnily enough, I recognised the location of your shot instantly as I have taken them from there before. That location is only about 4 miles from my house!

It is quite nice there. I photographed a steam special a couple of moths ago just to the right of where you were stood, with the train heading towards me. I put a polariser on to cancel the glare of the water but unfortunately that meant my shutter speed was a fraction too slow and I ended up with a bit of blurriness that wasn't nice blur.

I am sure you noticed, but if you stand just to the right of that spot on the bridge, you can frame the railway bridge with some bushes and get the train in between.

I didn't take much notice if I'm honest, I was with some friends doing some modelling style shots and they had walked on ahead so I was in a rush to catch up.

Back