Rain and Long Exposures

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I was shooting at a great location with some dramatic weather. I had a waterfall in my composition in my shot and was using a 6 stop filter to blur the water. This obviously led to a longer exposure(4-6 secs). Which in turn meant that rain was hitting the front of the glass. I returned to the same location later and took similar shots but with no rain but the results were not as dramatic. The first set of shots were however unusable due to the rain spots. Is there any way around this or is it, as I suspect, all about waiting for a gap in the weather? I was using a wide angle lens (10mm on a crop sensor) so holding an umbrella would have probably meant it was in shot.

Any tips or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Hold an umbrella up high enough so it stays out of shot. With waterfalls though, the spry from the falls themselves can be more of a problem that the rain since it's floating in all directions rather than falling straight down. Try setting the shot up, cleaning/drying the front element thoroughly then covering it with a cloth while you get the brolly ready. Slip the cloth off, hit the shutter release and with a little luck the lens will stay drip free for long enough.

Had the same problem as you when shooting the Aurora in Iceland near Gullfoss waterfall but the situation was made even worse by the fact that the drops were freezing onto the glass instantly. I just carried on shooting until they became too obvious for the shots to be useable then used the Mk 1 eyeballs and grey memory.

Back