Rain cover

Optech rain sleeves are cheap and cheerful and do the job ok. Amazon sell them, they’re a few quid for a pack of two.
Carmarthen Camera are the cheapest I found - £5.50/2 and free post

Tried the optech on my 70-200. Not a fan. Looking for something with access for one hand for controls and another for zooming
If it was a 70-200 sized lens I would have suggested the thinktank emergency rain cover. It’s pretty much the hydrophobia but without any hand holes.

I will be testing it out properly next week in the rain on a Sony 100-400.

I'm a sports photographer, sometimes covering mass participation athletics events - which could be 5k/10k runs / 24hr marathons, 100 mile bike rides, so in theory could be outside all day in the pouring rain. The Kata is OK - but is slightly flawed - but i need something which keeps the water out. The worst aspect of the Kata is that the end that slips over the lens hood can work its way down to the lens itself which gives more of an opportunity for water to get into places it shouldn't.

Some other members of my photo team have monopods with a brolly attachment so they can sit underneath and keep dryer - although that doesn't work in very windy conditions.

If I need rain protection, I often use a raincoat. Put the lens down one of the sleeves and secure the end to the lens hood, then the rest of the raincoat can protect some of me as well. Generally easier to do with a large-ish lens, really huge ones might be too big for the hole and small ones may mean a lot of bunching up of the sleeve (but still manageable.)

If I need rain protection, I often use a raincoat. Put the lens down one of the sleeves and secure the end to the lens hood, then the rest of the raincoat can protect some of me as well. Generally easier to do with a large-ish lens, really huge ones might be too big for the hole and small ones may mean a lot of bunching up of the sleeve (but still manageable.)
Would love to see a photo of what that looks like:)

The Thinktank Emergency Rain Covers have been mentioned. The ads suggest a lens diameter of c 80mm & up (at the hood end I assume). What if the lens (hood) diameter is only 65mm?

Would love to see a photo of what that looks like:)
Just remembered this... Couldn't find the raincoat, suspect it's in the other car, so I mocked it up with a fleece - the principle is the same.

You put the lens down the sleeve...
dry1.jpg

The back of the camera is then at the base of the sleeve...
dry2.jpg

As a bonus, you can then throw the rest of the coat over your head to keep yourself dry too...
dry3.jpg

As I say, it's not pretty, but it's the best way I've found of keeping a camera properly dry.

Back