Rain Jacket recommendations

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently looking for a rain jacket for winter. I would like to get something that will fit in my camera bag if needed, is soft, silent (doesn't tussle), repeals rain well and is up to what the British weather can throw at it. After getting soaked at the weekend in the peaks I need to replace my abused outdoor jacket that I've crawling through mud in and used as a kneeling pad (still going to keeping that for those jobs). I would prefer green or muted colours as it's going to be used with wildlife photography. Any recommendations are welcome. Budget is up to £200 for the right jacket but lower cost the better.

Buffalo shirt, doesn't matter if you get soaked, you'll remain warm just wearing it but if your not keen on that, then a Keela Munro jacket is good.
It's the jacket used by my local MRT and me, I also use ventile,yes it's stiff when wet but a great all rounder.

Rab Stratta jacket will do all of those, not sure it comes in green but I seem to remember it being available in a dark greyish brown for around £140. I have one in blue which I use for landscape photography, it's not the warmest of jackets but it does keep you dry and will pack down into a little pouch which will fit into any camera bag, best of all its soft material which doesn't make a noise. Worth a look at.

Does the Rab strata breathe well from your experience? I'm also looking for a lightweight jacket but dont want something that stops the rain but ends up with me wet from sweating.

I always use Paramo. I works like a sheep fleece. Expensive but totally waterproof.

I know they are rather costly was looking the other week. Is there one you can recommend as I noticed they have a few unusual styles that I wasn't keen on

Yes there breathable too. The velez smock is good. Not the velez adventure. The Quito is a lightweight one that will go into a bag on a hot day.

I use a paramo halcyon jacket which is more waterproof than my goretex climbing jacket. I picked it up from Go Outdoors when they had a promotion on

I have a couple of paramos, one is a model they no longer sell that I can't name and the other is a lighter weight Quito.
Great jackets, amazing customer service and they last for years with washing and proofing with nikwax tx10 as there's no plastic liner to deteriorate like goretex.
However they look like 90's shell suits, are warm due to dual layer construction, don't fold up as small as lightweight goretex(Quito isn't bad though) and both my jackets let water through under the straps of rucksacks in heavy and/or prolonged rain.
If you've got a breathable layer/fleece underneath you don't really get wet though.
Some of the jackets have two layers of fabric to prevent this.
I also have a mountain equipment Firefox which is goretex active for summer use.
Packs small, waterproof , good underarm vents, noisy to wear and was told due to lightweight construction wouldn't last more than a couple of years of average use.
Edit; I'd say the paramo is more breathable than the goretex and a lot more comfortable over just a Base Layer due to the soft drop liner.

Last edited:
the lightweight running jackets are the most breathable by far but they don't last to well.
Have a look at the new alp kit ones.
I am just about to replace a haglof endo thats started to leak, its the only waterproof I have managed to stay dry in when running or biking in the rain.

the super light ones have fewer pockets so breath better and the lighter fabric helps too but the are cold.
When doing MRT stuff the heavier and warmer Paramos come into their own

Does the Rab strata breathe well from your experience? I'm also looking for a lightweight jacket but dont want something that stops the rain but ends up with me wet from sweating.

Yes it does very well.

I also use a paramo halicon jacket in the winter, brilliant jacket that will keep you dry but it might be a bit too big to pack in a camera bag.

Paramo for me too, breathable and very quick drying. Halcon is a great jacket, may be a bit big for your camera bag, have a look at the bentu Rob..

Thanks for the suggestions. The rab strata and keela munro do look good. When I say fit in my camera bag its more a like ruck sack than a camera bag so there is plenty of room in the top in a front pocket. At worst it can be strapped to the side.

Last edited:
Yes it does very well.

I also use a paramo halicon jacket in the winter, brilliant jacket that will keep you dry but it might be a bit too big to pack in a camera bag.

Thanks, not wishing to hijack someone elses thread, but useful info. I have a good winter jacket, so its a lightweight spring/autumn one i'm after.

It's interesting the number of responses for paramo. Before posting the thread I was leaning towards paramo but I thought I would ask for other recommendations before making a decision.

I use a paramo halcyon jacket which is more waterproof than my goretex climbing jacket. I picked it up from Go Outdoors when they had a promotion on

Yes it does very well.

The paramo halicon looks like a great jacket and ideal for wildlife photography with the pockets and vents. It's a more than I was thinking but its tempting as there is a 20% off offer this weekend.

Paramo for me too, breathable and very quick drying. Halcon is a great jacket, may be a bit big for your camera bag, have a look at the bentu Rob..

I currently have a bentu jacket that I use as a lightweight spring/summer wind proof jacket. It's ok in light rain but I wouldnt like to be out in a big down pour or a long periods of constant rain. The Bentu is a nice jacket, it's light and folds down to nearly nothing so easily fits my bag. For winter I'm looking for something with a little more insulation as the Bentu very thin with no insulation.

I know they are rather costly was looking the other week. Is there one you can recommend as I noticed they have a few unusual styles that I wasn't keen on

I think I know what you mean about the unusual styles of some of them. The Pajaro and Halicon look like they are more country jackets than your standard outdoor design. I'm tempted by the Helki as it has enough pockets for my needs and it's a little more like a modern design. It comes in various colours as well as a green colour (moss) which ideal for me.

I've just bought the Montane Air jacket, can comment on how good it is as its stopped raining since I bought it!

Light, quiet, packs up well, breathable, good water-resistance (as long as you treat it well and wash/reproof it) = Paramo
I also use Paramo trousers

Cons: difficult to repair and easily damaged if snagged

Quiet, breathable, lasts 'forever', excellent water-resistance once wetted (and best if double layered), easy to repair, no chemical proofing needed = Ventile (in my case a Country Innovations smock has just replaced the 50 year old Berghaus one)

Cons: heavy when wet

The Paramo one I use all year but only low level walks in the winter...high level stuff and the ventile smock is the way to go. Neither are cheap ....though that old Berghaus ventile smock certainly proved value for money!

Have a look at an Event fabric jacket, my last two have both been this and it's a great combination of lightweight and waterproof, better than the Goretex jacket I had previously

Simon

Have a look at military ponchos. Not pretty but do the job, cheaply. You can even protect your gear with one

Hi all ... I'm looking for something a bit different ... saw it years ago and now thinking of getting one for the winter.

Hooded, lose-fitting, lightweight, slightly rubbery (?), just the one zip, no ties, permanently open under arms ...

Not one for the camera bag, but does anyone know the kind of thing and where to get it!

I use a simple $50 US columbia jacket. And for the winter time, add layers beneath that.

I use Paramo. Light, waterproof, breathable and silent. I kept putting off getting one for years and now don't know why I wasted money on other jackets. Its brilliant.

Chris

Another one here for Paramo. Expensive but worth it. I use the 'cagoule' type, which pulls on over the head. A quality piece of kit and wouldn't be without it.

Rohan is very good. Not cheap but lasts for ages. They have a decent range of jackets.

For years I had a Barbour Beaufort only thing you could get then that was waterproof and hardwearing. Bit of new wax and it was ready for another winter, still worth looking at these days, so we'll made and not even brambles could rip it.
I had the press stud in fleece lining and a hood, used it for everything including work, I'm getting all nostalgic now.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. After a bit of indecisiveness I ended up ordering a paramo helki. I was tempted by the pajaro and halcon especially 20% off over the B/H but decided the helki is probably more suitable for my needs. I just have to hope I've ordered the right size, it arrives tomorrow so I will soon find out.

The Paramo Helki arrived today, initial thoughts are very good. The materials are excellent, it fits well and there is plenty of adjustment. I'm sure the Pajaro and Halcon are better overall but the design of the Helki suits me well. Looking forward to putting it through its paces this winter.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how breathable a jacket is , if it's very wet on the outside the water will block the ability for it to breath to a certain extent, often more than people think.

I had a chance to use the Paramo Helki jacket out in the rain in the Lake District last week. It kept me completely dry which was good. The outer fabric was soaked where I was wearing my backpack as the backpack strap soaked up the water. The internal pump layer kept the water from reaching my inner layers. I have worked out I need to sort out my base layers as my cheap thermals and fleece layers where far too hot and didn't breathe properly. As soon as I took of the thermals and fleeces things were much better, I only needed my microfibres t-shirt when walking and the thin bento fleece when standing around photographing. Some better wicking base layers are definitely needed.

Another vote for Paramo. Got a green one that is still going after many years. Was a hard decision at the time. Had a few gore tex types that never lasted long. Hated the crisp packet thing and would never go back to anything crispy.

Back