Beginner Rainbow at my photos (it wasn't there)

Name
Alejandro
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

I'm learning photography and, using two stacked filters, ND8 and ND64 in a cloudy day, I have come across a subtle rainbow in my photos (which it wasn't there). Is it due to stacking filters? is it due to the lack of quality of the filters? Am I configuring my camera wrong?

Any help would be appreciated

By the way, here is the image: View: https://imgur.com/a/Uf3d2Uy

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,

So, is there anything I can do to prevent flare to show up?

Thanks again

Reactions: zx9
OP is using ND filters not UV :)
I'm aware of that but
1. The principle still applies
2. There doesn't seem to be a need to use ND filters for that shot.

Unless it's a silky water shot. I can't tell, it could be that the filters were for reasons of shutter speed.

Well, the exif data is missing from the shot and only the OP knows the reason why ND filters were used. . .
But it's reasonable to speculate, because of the possibility that the OP used filters simply because they were there - not that there's anything wrong with experimenting, far from it, but there is a tendency for people to sometimes forget the KISS principle and to over-complicate things.

It looks for all the world like polarising patterns.
I only just noticed the rainbow effect in the sky.
I have to admit I would not stack nd filters.

It's pretty obvious that the ND filters were used to smooth out the water and if that's the look the OP was going for then ND filters is the way to do it.
The rainbow certainly doesn't look like flare either

@avrweb what brand filters are they. Like most things you can get cheap, poor quality filters which won't be optically as good as something more expensive thus causing the issue.

It's pretty obvious that the ND filters were used to smooth out the water and if that's the look the OP was going for then ND filters is the way to do it.
The rainbow certainly doesn't look like flare either

@avrweb what brand filters are they. Like most things you can get cheap, poor quality filters which won't be optically as good as something more expensive thus causing the issue.
You nailed, I wanted the water to look still, I love this kind of quietness look. I am still a newbie and was practicing.

@ecoleman, filters' brand is rollei. I don't know if it is a good brand or not. I don't even know how to distinguish between good and bad quality filters.

How do I know what is a good lens hood? They all look the same to me: something that excels the boundaries of the lens and help you to prevent the sunlight to impact on in.

Get one designed specifically for the lens. One with a matt finish inside may be best, rather than a shiny one.

Price doesn't seem to be a perfect indicator of quality as the best lens hood I've ever had was a no name third party hood which came free when I bought something else.

How do I know what is a good lens hood? They all look the same to me: something that excels the boundaries of the lens and help you to prevent the sunlight to impact on in.
My personal choice for your type of photography (studio photography allows even better ones to be used) is a collapsible rubber one similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204211654893?hash=item2f8bf690ed:g:f7gAAOSwFtRjnvgW&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwJ/zOQxa3cyIjmS9bNaRu9sNge6hEnNeREOgksBjpd/CogIdbpfD+367b3umUfwQpuB/0YpTzEDUhRIAMwWWt0Qexg8XU8z1hDsefQ5EciD0o5WhxdQb2SOA7nonmVdk821U8X7thAd0hWDeysUY7C3JwC4URB3hRIl/f/eVBxqo6zq1B519R+GuG8TLTsiYQq6OQglTMZLWqJdm4gSk9ZL5n0k5czWmN+H9lzfLH0U0bQARGSmjsPPconHOZKjK8w==|tkp:Bk9SR8a56OaJYg
They have a very non-reflective surface and need to be long enough to nearly intrude into the image area, but not quite.

The ones to avoid are the 'petal' type usually supplied with zoom lenses, which are designed for the wideangle end of the zoom but which tend to be inadequate, such as this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195255008043?hash=item2d761afb2b:g:GJAAAOSwdoFi5bPF&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0Pnui3Yn3AYtBPkc+CKdvDMyAA8fTS6ckgfhkdkD7gYsAmEXY2LI6Wk/jYkbssjsePHywvA+sQVoYZBNZjzQFqJtxlpdFsQ4/WZCNXKrLM684P4fYA4cZDqV1iU+58IWgECjl1htQpWT6XwmndL+r9TnPaprKx5uRSqBNO0z5ejSJZySq+CCca3taY9/SWI0PoR5A3mKz/NwphYv4h8O94BfQGvG3wo6/2ES6BZzkCMjYBz/IlT8Z7KPnkx2VFq3iVgUBiXPQkRQN05wdfQk6oU=|tkp:Bk9SR6TigeeJYg
You nailed, I wanted the water to look still, I love this kind of quietness look. I am still a newbie and was practicing.

@ecoleman, filters' brand is rollei. I don't know if it is a good brand or not. I don't even know how to distinguish between good and bad quality filters.
Fair enough, it's your creative decision, but at least you now have the answer to your question. Adding a filter is very likely to cause this type of problem and adding two or more filters stacked together is even more likely to do so. B&W is known to be a good make, but as I avoid the things I can't advise on this.

Something I tell people new to reloading ammunition. learn to make good ammo before you start experimenting. Same would go with most anything we do. Learn to do it right first then start experimenting. I went through the filter craze and didn't find where they helped me much. In fact the only one I felt was good was a polotizer and I don't even know where it is anymore. I'm pretty sure at this point that filters do work but I never learned to use them well so it's a lost deal unless I was to start over. I should find my politized, liked it!

Last edited:
I find them very useful when you want people to disappear or to smooth clouds or water or to do lightpainting.

Back