Rainbow over Liverpool

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
dsc_7089-edit.jpg

I’ve wanted this shot forever. Rainbows are rare enough but getting one over Liverpool with good light is very rare. Luckily I was in the right place the other night and I got it.

As i said to you before, i love it, stunning image and once in a life time most probably :)

lovely shot pete, and as alexis onfire says, once in a lifetime.
i think the clouds at the front are a bit dark though, can you lighten them?

Great shot.
Sky feels too overpowering for me though.

Kinda why I like it. The rainbow is like a shield from the dark clouds. Liverpool shines through.

lovely shot pete, and as alexis onfire says, once in a lifetime.
i think the clouds at the front are a bit dark though, can you lighten them?

Quite possibly. They didn't bother me enough to alter them :)

Needs more HDR :p

Awesome shot, you've managed to get the colours of the rainbow to stand out well.

Stunning shot right up to the start of that grey mass. I appreciate what you were trying to do but the dark clouds dominate the picture and are too much of a contrast to the rest of it. They also show up the sensor dust... :bonk:

Superb shot Pete. I like the overpowering clouds!!

Ace shot, Pete.
Maybe the processing is a little off my personal taste though.

I'm not sure about the processing on this one, I can see that you wanted to add drama in the sky but it seems a little over dramatic. I also think it looks quite like a composite, one photograph for the dark clouds, another for the light ones and one for liverpool itself. The rainbow has been brought out well but I can't help thinking that it looks more like cool CGI than anything else. Maybe I'm mad seeing as everyone else love it.

Yip.

Got it and ruined it.

Sorry Pete, great shot, well captured and indeed once in a lifetime shot but I dont, and never will, like this over cooked style of processing.

I understand that you have to have a style of your own to make it in the world of photography and it seems so you are being very successful with it currently. I will not criticise you for your personal choices but it is not to my taste.

Maybe I'm mad seeing as everyone else love it.

Well... ;)

Yip.

Got it and ruined it.

I disagree :p

Sorry Pete, great shot, well captured and indeed once in a lifetime shot but I dont, and never will, like this over cooked style of processing.

I don't see a style of over cooked processing at all. It seems odd really. The recent photos I've posted have been toned down really. Less "over cooked" than what I would normally do. Restrained. Yet, for some reason people say they're overcooked. Maybe I should be less restrained :shrug:

I understand that you have to have a style of your own to make it in the world of photography and it seems so you are being very successful with it currently. I will not criticise you for your personal choices but it is not to my taste.

You say that as if I did it just to stand out or to plaster a "style" over the image just cos I had to. That seems a little... odd. At no point do I ever think like that. I do what makes me happy. I process for myself. I process photos to get what I want out of them.

What a miraculous shot!

But if I were you, I would move the lens a little upward...;)

We may only be two people that dislike this processing but if we use this post as a guide that's 12.5% of people not liking your work. If we take this and apply that to the population of the United Kingdom approximately 7,701,537 people dislike it. This is obviously a scary thought and from now on you will refrain from such processing in case the entire 7 million person horde finds and critiques you.

It's illogical logic, simply irrefutable .

I disagree

lol. You would. You took it! I'd lick the sweat from under my Grans bosom if you actually turned around and went "Yeah, you're right! It is ruined!"

I don't see a style of over cooked processing at all. It seems odd really. The recent photos I've posted have been toned down really. Less "over cooked" than what I would normally do. Restrained. Yet, for some reason people say they're overcooked. Maybe I should be less restrained

Be as restrained or as free as you like Pete. I say overcooked, you say restrained. People have different viewpoints.

You say that as if I did it just to stand out or to plaster a "style" over the image just cos I had to. That seems a little... odd. At no point do I ever think like that. I do what makes me happy. I process for myself. I process photos to get what I want out of them.

No, I said (or what I meant to convey) was that people (photographers) who are successful, are the ones with a distinct style and that yours is seemingly working for you. The only inference is the one that you created. Apologies if I didnt make myself clear in the first instance.

Silly Bugger.

I Still stand by the fact that I dont like it. I think you are a good photographer, I just dont like the treatment you give your images.

lol. You would. You took it! I'd lick the sweat from under my Grans bosom if you actually turned around and went "Yeah, you're right! It is ruined!"

I'll have to do that one day and you'll have to post pics :p

Be as restrained or as free as you like Pete. I say overcooked, you say restrained. People have different viewpoints.

I know they do but that wasn't really my point. In comparison to previous work the processing on this was more restrained than that. Technically speaking I mean. Sliders and stuff, not dragged as high up as previous shots.

No, I said (or what I meant to convey) was that people (photographers) who are successful, are the ones with a distinct style and that yours is seemingly working for you. The only inference is the one that you created. Apologies if I didnt make myself clear in the first instance.

Ah. No worries. It just felt like you were saying something else. Style for styles sake :)

I'm generally a fan of HDR and certainly a fan of bringing images into existence, which wouldn't otherwise be possible to see. That includes most of the stuff I've seen from you, Pete :).

In the case of this particular one though, I feel that it doesn't look "real" enough to make me see it for the truly wonderful capture that it is :|. It looks to me more like a painting, like an illustration form a children's story book (something biblical, perhaps :p) and therefore the rainbow has less impact, as it feels too artificial - as if it was just added in PPing. Maybe if I was viewing a much larger version, where the buildings looked more real, I'd feel slightly different about it :shrug:.

I'm sorry if this post seems overly negative, but hopefully you'll see that I do respect your photography, but simply feel that you've sold yourself a little short on processing this one particular image :|. Just my $0.02

The rainbow's a little too far over to the right for my taste. Can you go back and re-shoot it?

Pete, I am one of the 53,325,923 in this case. Obviously the rainbow over the city is the subjuct, but I like the way you get drawn to the drama of the sky too. It compliments the rainbow perfectly.

Love it!

Rob

I'm generally a fan of HDR and certainly a fan of bringing images into existence, which wouldn't otherwise be possible to see. That includes most of the stuff I've seen from you, Pete :).

In the case of this particular one though, I feel that it doesn't look "real" enough to make me see it for the truly wonderful capture that it is :|. It looks to me more like a painting, like an illustration form a children's story book (something biblical, perhaps :p) and therefore the rainbow has less impact, as it feels too artificial - as if it was just added in PPing. Maybe if I was viewing a much larger version, where the buildings looked more real, I'd feel slightly different about it :shrug:.

I was waiting for someone to mention the HDR. Its such a minor part of the image though. I wonder if people see what they want to see. "Oh its HDR its like a painting see." It was tone mapped, on low settings, and the original image was placed over it to further reduce the HDR effect. What you're looking at is really a product of Lightroom. But of course, its been HDR'd so that'll be the real problem cos HDR is the devils work :p

The rainbow's a little too far over to the right for my taste. Can you go back and re-shoot it?

NEIN!

Pete, I am one of the 53,325,923 in this case. Obviously the rainbow over the city is the subjuct, but I like the way you get drawn to the drama of the sky too. It compliments the rainbow perfectly.

Love it!

Rob

I was waiting for someone to mention the HDR...

I wonder if people see what they want to see. "Oh its HDR its like a painting see." ....

:D You crack me up!

I give you my honest opinion of your image, based soley on what I see on the screen in front of me (having already mentioned that I generally like HDR images) and you write back admitting that you were waiting for someone to mention HDR, so that you could belittle them for it.

Now whose being the blinkered sheep :LOL:?

...admitting that you were waiting for someone to mention HDR, so that you could belittle them for it.

I didn't say that. I didn't say I was waiting for someone to mention HDR so I could belittle them. I said I was waiting for someone to mention HDR. I'm known for it and as such any processed image I post someone will bring it up. It always happens. I've posted non HDR photos that people moan about the HDR in or say that they like the HDR in it. So yes, I was waiting for someone to bring it up. You must have also missed the :p at the end. Sort of hints at tongue in cheek :p

But then what does it matter? You said you like HDR but then didn't like the image, which is what I focused on. HDR, well tonemapping, and the "It looks like a painting" response go hand in hand. However on this occasion I only used a tiny bit of HDR to add to the image. I didn't want the cliched HDR painterly look. The fact that you like HDR just isn't hugely relevant. So you like HDR. So? Do you go around saying you like colour too? :p

Is it true that two youths from Huyton stole the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after this shot was taken....... :coat: ;) :D

I like it Pete, very moody, and I think it would look great blown up to wall painting size!! :D

Whereabouts did you take the shot from??

Seacombe.

Harry ??? The barsteward !!! Always seemed like such a nice bloke too

Anyway, a full rainbow exactly where you wanted one ??? You jammy ******* :D

Great capture, and I happen to think great processing too :clap:

Just needs a Golden Goose for foreground interest and you've a Fairytale image on your hands

DD

Harry ??? The barsteward !!! Always seemed like such a nice bloke too

Anyway, a full rainbow exactly where you wanted one ??? You jammy ******* :D

Great capture, and I happen to think great processing too :clap:

Just needs a Golden Goose for foreground interest and you've a Fairytale image on your hands

DD

I think the rainbows been added in Jimmy... but don't tell Pete I said that.. :bat:

Can you show a thumbnail of the original? I'd like to see what this looked like out of camera. To me this is more of a demonstration of what can be done with extensive knowledge and skill in post processing but not really photography. I know what you like to use your own style of post processing, this is what you've become known for. I can't help thinking that there are some nice photographs underneath all of the pixel manipulation, they won't look quite the same because life isn't as contrasty and saturated but they will look realistic.

To me this is more of a demonstration of what can be done with extensive knowledge and skill in post processing but not really photography.

Are we ever going to move away from that? I'm a photographer. I'm not a retoucher, digital artist, Photoshopper, or whatever. I just do photography.

If you are a photographer why do you tend to hide what you've captured behind extreme post processing? I can honestly say I have no idea what the original would have looked like.

Back