Rainbow

Name
Howard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

On my way home last night I came across a nice rainbow and happened to have the camera in the car, unfortunately the memory card only had space for 3 pics and by the time I'd changed it the rainbow had disappeared :(

Anyway C&C welcome as it's the only way i'll improve!

IMG_5360.jpg

It's straight off the camera with no PP and taken using a Canon EOS 450D with 18-55mm kit lens.

Thanks

It's straight off the camera with no PP....

Hi,

Not too bad there, the composition is fair and the rainbow is quite apparent too. Well done.

IMHO, straight out the camera suggest one of two things however:

1: I haven't a clue how to process an image, HELP!

2: I can't be arsed.

I'm guessing that in your case, it's number one :D

Most digital images can look a little pale or 'washed out' straight from the camera, did you shoot this in jpeg or raw?

Here's a basic edit, the horizon has been straightened, an increase of contrast adjustment has been made and also the black levels has been boosted to deepen the colours a little.

IMG_5360EDIT.jpg

T.

Hi,

Not too bad there, the composition is fair and the rainbow is quite apparent too. Well done.

IMHO, straight out the camera suggest one of two things however:

1: I haven't a clue how to process an image, HELP!

2: I can't be arsed.

I'm guessing that in your case, it's number one :D

Most digital images can look a little pale or 'washed out' straight from the camera, did you shoot this in jpeg or raw?

Here's a basic edit, the horizon has been straightened, an increase of contrast adjustment has been made and also the black levels has been boosted to deepen the colours a little.

IMG_5360EDIT.jpg

T.

How did you guess, I'm just trying to teach myself how to use photoshop but don't have a clue! I was planning on having a go with it when I get home tonight to see how much or a mess I can make! :LOL:

It was shot in jpeg purely because that was what I had the camera set on and I wanted to make sure I got the shot before it disappeared!

your edit improves the picture no end, I'll aim to get something as good when I have a play tonight!

How did you guess, I'm just trying to teach myself how to use photoshop but don't have a clue! I was planning on having a go with it when I get home tonight to see how much or a mess I can make! :LOL:

It was shot in jpeg purely because that was what I had the camera set on and I wanted to make sure I got the shot before it disappeared!

your edit improves the picture no end, I'll aim to get something as good when I have a play tonight!

Hey no problem,

The t'internet is ripe with tutorials on photoshop, youtube has a gazillion of them, just do a few googles for photoshop videos and the basics etc.

Make a fresh pot o tea and get stuck in, you'll have a great time, you have a really nice shot there, just needs a bit of TLC in the digital darkroom.

All the best

T.

you have a really nice shot there, just needs a bit of TLC in the digital darkroom.

Is there no way in which you think the actual shot could have been improved? If I've got it right first time then I'm very happy but I'm still new to this game and I'm sure there must be things I could have done to improve the composition!

All critisism is welcome as long as it's constructive!

Great shot (especially considering it's straight out of the camera - I can't use Photoshop either really :crying:), but the edit does work better! (y)

Is there no way in which you think the actual shot could have been improved? If I've got it right first time then I'm very happy but I'm still new to this game and I'm sure there must be things I could have done to improve the composition!

All critisism is welcome as long as it's constructive!

well possibly but I fear given the circumstances you may have done the best you could.

Being amongst the tall grass has potential, also the horizon being a bit clearer, ie, treelines as opposed to houses maybe. The viewpoint could be a little flat, maybe a more elevated perspective could prove more interesting? :shrug:
We could gnit-pick until the cows returneth but all in all I think you've done well for a 'grab' shot. (y)

Last edited:
Ok so I finally found some time to have a go at photoshopping... I've straightened the horizon and increased the contrast like Tomas suggested, how do you adjust the black level?
IMG_5360copy.jpg

Ok so I finally found some time to have a go at photoshopping... I've straightened the horizon and increased the contrast like Tomas suggested, how do you adjust the black level?

Well done! That looks much better.

You can adjust the blacks by adding a levels adjustment layer and dragging the slider from the far left of the histogram closer to the middle. Google > Levels Adjustment, photoshop.

The same can be achieved by adding a curves adjustment layer and dragging the slider from the far left closer to the middle. Google > Curves adjustment, photoshop.

Or, in Adobe camera raw reader there is a dedicated black levels slider. Google > Adobe camer raw.

Hope that helps. (y)

Back