Rally Hebrides

Dexy101

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
This event is only a small one, held for charity (cancer) back in my local home town, my first time shooting motorsport really but i had fun so thats a start :)

Rally (43) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Rally (40) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Rally (38) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Rally (33) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Rally (30) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

Rally (25) by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

I had a blast, learned a few things shooting non stop for a few events. The main one is that i need to be buying bigger capacity cards, i managed to fill in total 16GB twice.

Also i need to work on panning, i enjoyed myself and cant wait to look for something similar again.

4, 7 and 8 were my favourites from those.

All in all, pretty good for a first go.

Good set of photos, especially like the pic of the Ford Anglia 105e.....

These are blindingly good for a first attempt at Rallying, but would I be right in saying that you've added motion blur to a few of them in PP?

Rhod

Hmmm...I'm not liking them at all, and not going to sing your praises like those above.
Although the composition is pretty good in most of them, I find the colours are too flat and the processing is off.
As Rhod noted, it's pretty obvious that you've added in movement - it's the first thing I noticed and sticks out like sore thumb - and you haven't disguised it or pulled it off very well, leaving your shots with little or no credibility.

Hmmm...I'm not liking them at all, and not going to sing your praises like those above.
Although the composition is pretty good in most of them, I find the colours are too flat and the processing is off.
As Rhod noted, it's pretty obvious that you've added in movement - it's the first thing I noticed and sticks out like sore thumb - and you haven't disguised it or pulled it off very well, leaving your shots with little or no credibility.

Cheers mate, thanks for the crit, im not going to defend them either, yes i added motion blur, why? Because i need to learn how to pan correctly, im happy with my first attempt and will carry on and try and do better next time.

Your composition is fine, and that's the main thing here that has to be right. So well done, I like 8,6,4 & 2 the most. Note that these are shots where you can see the 'Face' of the car.

The colours etc... it's Scotland, no doubt a miserable day weather wise and I imagine it's not far off what it actually was like on the day! it is a little bit desaturated looking in some shots, but not too much. Somebody has obviously never shot anything in England or Scotland...

So your blurring is artificial, so what? if you can't do it with your lens because it's not long or fast enough (I believe you only have a 24-105mm F/4?) then doing it in the 'darkroom' is your best option until you upgrade your gear or up your technique. You know the look you're after and you've gone for it with the only means you currently have available and I can't knock that. And of course it depends if you're going for documentary or art, if it's documentary then you just don't do it, but if it's art... ? does not matter in the slightest.

Some nice pictures there mate . I do some freelance stuff in the scottish rally championship . I like your style

Back