Ralphie

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
My 1st attempt at a dog portrait with our eldest dog, Ralphie. Unfortunately his health is ailing and cataracts mean he's almost blind. So I'd like a great photo.
Ralphie by rich broadbent, on Flickr

This was taken with single flash in a silver reflective brolly. I've had a go at pp in lightroom and cleaned up the background a bit in photoshop.
Comments and critique welcome. When I get the chance I'll have another crack at getting a keeper to adorn our walls, so suggestions on setup etc. would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Rich

That's a great first effort. I know it's difficult to get focus on their eyes when dogs have hairs that grow in front of them but that's the most important thing IMO.
I think his nose is in focus but not his eyes.
I've also seen a video on YouTube where the "ghosting" in his eyes from the cataracts is reduced - you may want to do this?
Still like I said it's a great start.

Just because you have a f1.8 lens, doesn't mean you have to shoot at f1.8 ....

Thanks Ben.

I noticed afterwards that he's got a hair stuck to his left eye which wasn't on shots taken earlier. His eyes get really gunked up so I'll bathe them before my next effort. He gets a diy grooming, so I'll also trim the hair in front of his eyes. I was hesitant to edit his eyes, but on reflection it does need doing. I can't find the ghosting video, but have found a tutorial so will follow that.

Oddly the posted image is desaturated in comparison with the original/flikr image. I'm not sure why this is.

Back