RAM question

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Good morning,

I bought a RAM upgrade kit 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL11 to upgrade my iMac to what should have been 24GB of RAM, there are 2x4GB modules already installed, however, only 16GB is showing. Is this simply a faulty RAM module? I tried a single 8GB with the 4GB which should show 12GB and it only shows 8GB installed???

Thanks

Are these upgrades the same spec as the original memory modules ? Sounds as though the modules are incorrectly labelled as 4Gb rather than 8Gb. One final test would be to insert both (?) 8Gb modules with the original 4Gb removed. If this shows up as 8Gb on start up then I suspect they are incorrectly identified modules

Do what Chappers suggested to confirm when you put both 8GB modules in they are showing as 16GB.

I suspect the issue is you need to put mem modules of the same size in both banks, otherwise only one bank is recognised, in this case it's only seeing the 2 x 8GB memory and not the 2 x 4GB memory. If you had 4 x 8GB I think you would see 32GB.

Do what Chappers suggested to confirm when you put both 8GB modules in they are showing as 16GB.

I suspect the issue is you need to put mem modules of the same size in both banks, otherwise only one bank is recognised, in this case it's only seeing the 2 x 8GB memory and not the 2 x 4GB memory. If you had 4 x 8GB I think you would see 32GB.

No idea about Mac but my PC has 4 slots but these are in 2 banks and colour coded in their pairs. So as noted above, I surmise you like me should make sure you put the matched pairs of RAM into the same colour bank.

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

Have a look in system information under the memory configuration. It shows what you have in all 4 slots.

I'm sure it said 4 in each when I looked.

I'd suspect that the memory you put in wasn't fully compatible. I use Kingston memory, they have a checker that you can download linked to their site that suggests what you need.

I've upgraded my iMac to 24mb of ram.

Also check what the maximum memory capacity of your iMac is. Older iMacs will only be able to use up to a certain amount of RAM. (I have 24gb in mine, 2012 model).

All sorted took the old RAM back and bought 32GB from Mr Memory which I should have done from the start as they have the online checker for your computer.

Back