Critique Random set for critique :-)

Hi eddz,
I'll save you from having no friends.
I like 1 but the white plug coming out of her hair is slightly distracting.

No. 2 is nice and bright/fresh looking but I can't decide if he's not looking at the camera it ha a squint in one eye.

No.3 I don't like; soley on the fact that the Garden area isn't the prettiest. That aside it's a bit composition and lovely colours.

No. 4 the posing just doesn't look natural to me. Nice detail in the flower though.

Hope this kicks off some other critiques for you.

Thanks for the feedback! People usually reply to my threads :p Cheers again.

It may be my monitor but the white balance looks a bit off in the 3 portraits; they're all a bit orange.

I like the lighting in 1 but her eyes and mouth look slightly unnatural for the rest of the styling which is quite laid back; are they over processed? Or does she just have amazing features? The crop is a bit narrow, too.

I love the detail in 2 but in an ideal world there'd be a bit more light in the eyes.

3 is nice and sharp and beautifully exposed - I wonder if cropping some of the foreground would perk it up?

4 is quite good - barring any colour cast - but I wonder if it would look less forced if there was more of her in the frame?

@juggler That's the problem... Don't all photos look different for each of us depending on our monitor calibration? What's nicely balanced skin tones for me could be fake-tan orange for you :shrug:

Last edited:
@juggler That's the problem... Don't all photos look different for each of us depending on our monitor calibration? What's nicely balanced skin tones for me could be fake-tan orange for you :shrug:

A perennial problem. Short of a full calibration, histograms can help, and some programs' auto white balance tools can give an idea of what they think is right, as well as looking at images on a variety of screens. However in this case... most other portraits on the same monitor don't look so warm and nor does your shot of the tree.

... but maybe someone else will pop up and disagree with me!

@juggler I can see what you mean. Then again, I have always shot fairly warm. The monitor I edit on, a Dell Ultrasharp, has quite cool colour temperature as standard. Perhaps it is confusing me when I edit?

[EDIT] With regards to my sister (first image), it has just dawned on me that she has darker skin. Not 'orange' but definitely not pale. Mediterranean like. Also, yes those are her features - she's one of the good looking children! Haha

Last edited:
Like the highlights in the hair and eyes in the first one. All are very sharp. I can see the different processing in the landscape but what did you do different in the portraits?

@TKD Besides the one of the tree, all the portraits were taken with my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 - amazingly sharp lens. I didn't apply any sharpening in post processing! I guess in terms of processing the styles are similar with the portraits - I just messed around with the contrast and whites in the first one!

Back