Random Stranger 1

Name
Gareth Jones
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday i was taking part in the sheffield photo marathon using briefs to create 6 photos in a specific order, one of those was "making faces" we could interpret as we saw fit so in my mind i needed someone to pull me a face but i was solo :/ i had to go outside of my comfort zone and ask a random person on the street to do this for me.

I saw this chap he had hair all over and a beard to match and would be perfect, i approached and he obliged and i grabbed a few shots said thanks and whisked my embarrased self away to check the images i had shot, as you can you see i missed the focus on the eyes but i was pleased i had done it even though disappointed with the shot overall.

This got me thinking about getting out of my comfort zone so i have decided to start a new project with random strangers, i have seen others do it here so if you have any help or advice please let me know.

random stranger 1 by garethjones206, on Flickr

Good on you starting a new project! To be honest, I think this photo is ace and in this instance I would be really pleased with this photo.

Had this been a formal portrait then I guess we could dwell on the eye focus, but it's not, this is different. It looks like you found a real character and you can see his personality shining through, surely that was your objective?

I believe (and it does just come down to the viewers opinion) that you've created a really interesting photograph here and it's often difficult to make a portrait 'interesting', some of the technically accurate portraits I see often don't have any room in them for 'interest'. I like it.

Back