Range Rover Evoque - Sparkling Edition :D ***edit added***

Much more imo, I'm having trouble making out the wheel design here, though the black wheels wont be helping you. This is one reason why I do more light passes with more exposures tbh, some may just be for individual wheels.. If you've got the light info from the shoot you can then choose to use it of not later on, whereas if you dont have it at all..

The WB of the paintwork fits better in no1 imo

One of the perils of not actually planning on light painting :eek: I spotted the car and thought that I would give it a go :D this was all done with flash bursts I plan on doing to light painting with a torch soon (y)

I will have to have another play at some point, possible this evening

I'm looking forward to having a go with a car I have control of (y) rather than one I randomly found on the street..

I'm pleased that overall you like it (y)

Matt

Just give the wheels a flash burst too then. Thats all I did with the Navara shoot the other week. Again another exposure means you can bin any light bleed onto the bodywork in PS (y)

Just give the wheels a flash burst too then. Thats all I did with the Navara shoot the other week. Again another exposure means you can bin any light bleed onto the bodywork in PS (y)

A very good point (y)

I already read Andrew's guide before I got the flash, can't wait to start practising, cheers.

Original

Edited

Quoted again for ease of reference.

Great first attempt Matt. The starbursts off the tree lights really bring the background to life without overpowering - are they real or a PS effect? Less convinced by the starbursts on the headlights. I think when the car's obviously parked, having the lights on doesn't have to be part of the story so no need to add that in.

If the starbursts are an aperture effect, my suggestion would be you're too stopped up for your light source. White will always pick up the most of whatever light's around but that'll probably be why the bottom's so dark.

The edit didn't make a worthwhile difference IMO and I think you need to isolate the wheels and black trim from the ground. The original looks more cohesive than the edit as there's no spill on the ground.

Also agree with Phil re the white balance. Original was again more cohesive. Mixed colour temps in the same frame is a really tough thing to pull off so if anything, I'd be looking to selectively and subtly warm the scene up and in doing so you're minimising the visibility of your added light without affecting its impact.

Nice little bit of magic on the the bus stop.

Quoted again for ease of reference.

Great first attempt Matt. The starbursts off the tree lights really bring the background to life without overpowering - are they real or a PS effect? Less convinced by the starbursts on the headlights. I think when the car's obviously parked, having the lights on doesn't have to be part of the story so no need to add that in.

If the starbursts are an aperture effect, my suggestion would be you're too stopped up for your light source. White will always pick up the most of whatever light's around but that'll probably be why the bottom's so dark.

The edit didn't make a worthwhile difference IMO and I think you need to isolate the wheels and black trim from the ground. The original looks more cohesive than the edit as there's no spill on the ground.

Also agree with Phil re the white balance. Original was again more cohesive. Mixed colour temps in the same frame is a really tough thing to pull off so if anything, I'd be looking to selectively and subtly warm the scene up and in doing so you're minimising the visibility of your added light without affecting its impact.

Nice little bit of magic on the the bus stop.

Indeed the head light star busts are totally fake :exit: they were really because I was a little bored more than anything :LOL: as to the other star burst they are all down to aperture (y)

I think that I need to have another play with the original to see what I can do to try and improve the image further (y) I'm very happy with it as a first attempt but it's always great to get this kind of details feedback to identify those areas to make it even better (y)

Matt

Quick question Matt, were you firing the flash from out of shot?
I tried this sort of shot tonight and to be honest mine looks awful!

Yeah I was out of shot, I knew where my limit's were so I knew where I could stand to fire the flash (y)

Matt

Indeed the head light star busts are totally fake
Interesting, then how did you do those? Do you have a 'star burst' brush or something you could point me towards? This effect could come in handy for some of the architectural projects at work..

Interesting, then how did you do those? Do you have a 'star burst' brush or something you could point me towards? This effect could come in handy for some of the architectural projects at work..

I use a free piece of editing software for a lot of my editing as I find it a lot easier for basic edits than PS it's called Photoscape and it has a lot of nice little tools such as faux lens flare that you see here (y)

Matt

Back