Rangefinder and DSLR advice

Name
Joshua Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on picking up a reasonably cheap film rangefinder camera second hand, ideally one with fully mechanical operation.

I'm currently shooting from a nicely preserved Canon AE1 I found sitting in a cupboard, It produces lovely shots, but is simply far too obtrusive to use for candid and street shots.

Secondly my parents have offered to split the cost of a DSLR as an 18th present, I'm torn between a getting something new like a Nikon D80, or Sigma SD14 or an older used Nikon D100 or D200.
(Although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, from the limited experience I've had with borrowed Nikon and Canon cameras I much prefer the Nikon ergonomics.)

Why not try both? I find charity shops seem to have quite a few rangefinders, probably for no more than £20, and I thoroughly recommend you visit an independent camera shop and ask to have a play with a D80.

Thanks, I'll spend some time in charity shops then...

As for the SLR's I've had a play with all the cameras I'm considering (apart from the Sigma, which I'm struggling to find anywhere).

Back