Rangefinder lens hood

Edit My Images
Yes
I have very little experience of rangefinders and have just bought an Olympus 35 SP

I am left in something of a quandary as regards using a lens hood. With SLR's Ive always used a hood. I have a couple of 49mm screw fit hoods lying around and so tried them on the 35 SP. The first is a Hoya rubber collapsible one:

Way too big! It intrudes significantly into the viewfinder so is no good.

Next I tried a more compact metal screw in one. I bought this some time ago for an SLR and it was the most compact one I could find:

Better, but still intrudes into the viewfinder overlapping the framing lines.

I guess that the answer is to try and find an even more compact one or to live without a hood?

The latter might be OK as there is some depth between the front of the glass and the edge of the lens.

Comments anyone?

I have one that's identical to the second one.

I never use it though.

Not because it intrudes too much - I don't think it does - but because the meter is always on and so I want to put the camera in the case between shots.

Might be silly. I'm not sure.

To add:

I had thought about the battery drain issue and the ER case being a useful way to reduce this - obviously something not possible with a hood.

I am so conditioned to using a hood that a camera doesnt seem right without one. Perhaps its just a case of recalibrating my thinking!

I am so conditioned to using a hood that a camera doesnt seem right without one. Perhaps its just a case of recalibrating my thinking!

I feel much the same and do like to use a hood.

Not having one on the SP has never caused an issue though.

Here's a thought.

How about cutting out the very front of the case for the hood to poke through.

If it was done carefully, it could be reversible,

I hadnt thought of that.

Im a bit reluctant to modify the case as I fear that I am likely to make a mess of it!

Wonder if anyone produces custom made ER cases? Unlikely I guess.

Thanks.

As usual, I am worrying too much!

Will try without a hood and my favourite Y-52 filter fitted.

Thanks.

As usual, I am worrying too much!

Will try without a hood and my favourite Y-52 filter fitted.
The lens is set far enough back that a hood really isn't necessary.
Just be aware of flare if you are pointing close to a bright light source.

The lens is set far enough back that a hood really isn't necessary.
Just be aware of flare if you are pointing close to a bright light source.

Thats what I was thinking, though with a filter fitted its a different matter of course.........

Thats what I was thinking, though with a filter fitted its a different matter of course.........

Use a good multi-coated filter. Cheap filters aren't worth using anyway.

When the SP was made there were virtually no coated filters. I can not remember them ever selling a lens hood for one either. Though it was sold with a lens cap.

When the SP was made there were virtually no coated filters. I can not remember them ever selling a lens hood for one either. Though it was sold with a lens cap.

I have the original lens cap

Along with the manual, warranty card and ER case!

Back