Rangefinder recommendations (analogue)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I’m looking to document my work in the countryside on b&w film. I want to be able to carry a camera around with me when I’m working, so I want something either inexpensive, or bomb proof! (Ideally both). It needs to be smallish, but not tiny.

Any ideas?

Also, some kind of autoexposure mode, program or aperture priority would be a big bonus

If you don't want interchangeable lenses there is a huge range of 1960's / 1970's RF cameras from most of the Japanese manufactures, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Yashica etc. in various sizes and maximum aperture.
If tiny is out of the question, the 1980's Olympus XA will be off limits which is a shame.

The yashica electro range finder I had was really nice. Not too big and not too small. Had an Xa as well. I wouldn't call the Xa tiny. The minox ones are tiny :)

I'm going to say the Vivitar 35EE. For no better reason than it's the first one that came up in my search. :D

Do you specifically want a rangefinder? If so, how's your eyesight?

I've tried one of the Oly X cameras, Minolta Hi-Matic, and an Olympus 35RC as well as a (non-35mm) Kodak Instamatic 500. All are small, but so is the viewfinder, and the same for the viewfinder patch (which I struggle to see on all of those and often end up distance focussing anyway). They also all have fixed lenses which might be an issue. I'd take a Leica M, Bessa R series or a Zeiss Ikon over all of them in a shot. But prices are really steep and whilst they're smaller than the chunky DSLRs & most mirrorless Canikon offerings, they aren't what I'd call "smallish".

If it's landscape stuff and you're going to be at f/11 for everything, then I'd go for something like an Olympus OM or Canon AE-1 SLR with the appropriate lens (28/35/50) and just set the scale on the lens and be done. Cheap, bombproof and does the job. Of course you might just want the rangefinder in which case I'll shut up and get my coat :)

Olympus XA or a Rollei 35B

Back