Critique Rannoch Moor: Reflections and sunrise colours

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
As you all know I live near here and am up here shooting a lot. This Saturday I decided to go and visit. I rarely head out over the weekends as I prefer to shoot alone and not encounter large groups of people, something, despite the popularity of the area is quite easy to achieve. It wasn't actually too bad but there were certainly plenty about trying to get these sunrise colours.

Here are my offerings from the morning. I only wish there had been the full dusting of snow that Wednesday had. With these colours the morning would have been sensational. Wednesday there was a horrible mist about. I don't really care for misty conditions. I like the big open view to be nice and clear.

_DSC0416 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0421 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0423 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0426 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0458 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Love the colour on the peaks of 4 and not knowing the lie of the land can't see what to improve short of taking a shovel to get rid of that island!

Love the colour on the peaks of 4 and not knowing the lie of the land can't see what to improve short of taking a shovel to get rid of that island!

Not much. Truth be told I hadn't picked the best bit but I'd just been over @ Ba taking an image I've ended up deleting.

This was the closest "best" I could get

One of my favourite places. These are lovely images of an area that is fast becoming special to me. Everytime I go there, it's different and it might be a place that has had millions of images taken of it but the possibilities are endless. The light and compositions alter all the time and this set shows that very well.

It's difficult to pick a favourite but the first one is the one I prefer. The colour and light in that one is just wonderful and the reflection is the strongest one of the set for me. The space bottom right whilst quite empty, still has a hint of cloud and reeds as well as colour to save what would've been a dead area. Love it!

A wonderful set Steve, wish I'd gone now.

Last edited:
One of my favourite places. These are lovely images of an area that is fast becoming special to me. Everytime I go there, it's different and it might be a place that has had millions of images taken of it but the possibilities are endless. The light and compositions alter all the time and this set shows that very well.

It's difficult to pick a favourite but the first one is the one I prefer. The colour and light in that one is just wonderful and the reflection is the strongest one of the set for me. The space bottom right whilst quite empty, still has a hint of cloud and reeds as well as colour to save what would've been a dead area. Love it!

A wonderful set Steve, wish I'd gone now.

Thanks, I feel a bit guilty as I sensed I was talking you out of it on Facebook.

I just couldn't settle properly and was awake anyway so just hit the road, it's not even one hour for me.

In an ideal world there would have been more snow like Wednesday and although I hate the cold it's remarkably pretty.

Summers nearly here and tbh I prefer the early summer up here or autumn. I don't like the cold and am really excited for summer

Whilst the weird pre dawn glow light that you get in conditions like this is lovely I think the final, lit shot suits your scene best.

Excellent shots, as always, Steve. I can see the appeal of the tighter crops but I like, IMO, the better sense of space from the more expansive shots.

Number 1 is a cracker and I think the few blades of water plant/grass at the bottom right just stop the eye from slipping away. The land and rocks to the left perform a similar job on the left and the shapes created between the land and water there pick up the shapes of the hills.

Great light on the last one.

Dave

Back