B&W Rannoch Moor: Winter Magic.

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these three in Feb 2015. Went back over them tonight to see if I could improve them at all. Tried a few different crops.

@gregww1 mentioned something very interesting about 4x5 being his favourite aspect.

I recall composing it in portrait but this crop I think works nicely in a conventional sense

_DSC3044 (2) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I personally prefer the 1x1 of this myself but it breaks all the rules...but who cares

_DSC3044 (4) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

This orignally I had as a 16x9 but prefer a 2x1 these days. For long enough it was my desktop background and was in need of one...I have a better one now...

I think I prefer this wide like this

_DSC3053 (3) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Mm. Too much nothing at the bottom of the first one for my liking.

Square looks pretty good, but as you say, it breaks 'The Rules'! Aah!
Horizon in the middle :eek:

Third looks to be the best,.

The second is exquisite.

No 2 works best imo but hey I'm a non conformist so rules of any description get broken! lol
The composition offers both an open view of the vast wasteland of snow in the forground along with an open sky which shows the different cloud textures/ shades, thus offering the "mood" of the scene more than the other two composures.

No 1 has a texture to the snow at the bottom which, for me, draws my attention from the rest of the scene

No 3 I find too tightly cropped, particularly acros the top.

No 2 works best imo but hey I'm a non conformist so rules of any description get broken! lol
The composition offers both an open view of the vast wasteland of snow in the forground along with an open sky which shows the different cloud textures/ shades, thus offering the "mood" of the scene more than the other two composures.

No 1 has a texture to the snow at the bottom which, for me, draws my attention from the rest of the scene

No 3 I find too tightly cropped, particularly acros the top.

Having slept on it I agree. I'll redo 3 as a 16-9 - it worked as that before. I'll probably just bin the 4x5, it was an experiment but the square is the one for me too

A lovely set. I agree about the first having just alittle too much at the bottom, which is why the 2nd image is my pick of this set.

Rules are good and they work but breaking them does as well.

First one is very good Steve. The bit of foreground at the bottom of the frame is important to me. It has enough dark bits/texture in it to mimic the mountains and is on a slight diagonal which adds a line of composition to lead you into the scene.

I've redone the last one as a 16:9

_DSC3053 (3) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It works for me better this way. Thanks @Craig_85 - I totally get what your are saying but I am going to bin it for now. It doesn't work for me having had a good nights sleep on it. May I will change my mind tomorrow.

Processed the Square again...wanted a cooler tone for it

_DSC3044 (3) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
3 bears set for me

First has too much nothingness in the foreground
Third has too little nothingness and i find the tones of the foreground and hills just mix together for me
Second has just enough nothingness

Was this you going through a phase of dark moody skies[emoji3]

Dare I say it Steve, may favourite is No.1, lol. The negative space in the foreground draws me right through the picture. Great stuff!

Dare I say it Steve, may favourite is No.1, lol. The negative space in the foreground draws me right through the picture. Great stuff!

Ha. I thought you'd appreciate it. I was going to title it "For Greg" then I twigged you've got a stash of 4x5s for all of us.

I did like it, still do, but on sleep, reflection the square is what I'm going to print. I wanted something simple, vast, open to remember the day by. I might have composed it with foreground but my real memory was letting just my eye rest on the distant scene as I was stood here.

3 bears set for me

First has too much nothingness in the foreground
Third has too little nothingness and i find the tones of the foreground and hills just mix together for me
Second has just enough nothingness

Was this you going through a phase of dark moody skies[emoji3]

It's a function of the fl used too. The 3rd was shot at 48mm. Whilst not long, it's compressing the view a bit hence the "mixing together".

The sq and 4x5 are crops of the same portrait taken at 24mm which has the effect of stretching the icy expanse out a bit.

B&w should for me have a bit of punch. These aren't my style but I'm ever so glad I took them

Find the top half of the photos excellent and like the atmosphere but for me I'm not feeling the following:

- The large space in the foreground.
- Could you have went a tad wider or turned to the right a little more? I feel the dominant hill is the right one but not all of it is in the scene.

Yep first one with the negative space for me Steve - just a feeling I get when looking at the mountains and how they fit in the picture I feel as if I want to take two steps to the right to balance them a touch more, although that's just a feel thing more than anything else and it's still a great image.

One is beautiful Steve, as Greg says leads you right up to the mountainside, for me it's the one that imparts the feeling you get when youre standing there with it stretching out before you, as opposed to No2 that sits it in your lap. I feel 1 gives me a better feel of distance and scale. Tis true the texture in the snow in the immediate foreground steals my eye a little but it's really just a stepping stone to take me further into the picture.
Although 2 is nice 1 is my pick.

Merry Christmas Steve and thanks to all the mountain photographers on here for feeding my lust for the peaks, especially as I rarely have the time nowadays in this bloody rat race.
All the best, it's been a pleasure viewing(y)

Back