Critique Rannoch Moor

Colour for all 3 for me.

Reactions: ST4
Seen these views in the flesh, so to speak, countless times. Nevertheless, I like them all. I must confess to being a sucker for pics of that area. I find Rannoch Moor area to be such a captivating place that I almost always enjoy pics of it.

The second one is the pick for me Steve as the brightness of the foreground rocks on the left balances the snowy peaks to add that extra dimension to the composition. This one also looks slightly more contrasty than the other b&w one, but they're all well seen and technically fine.

Great set Steve. Must try and get there soon it looks a beautiful place. The two mono shots are the standout ones for me. The sky is much more dramatic and there just seems to be more depth in the landscape. The last one is ok but it just doesn't seem to have the impact of the first two

Last edited:
These images have a sort of clinical look that precludes emotional engagement.

Yes, I think it's a combination of the still conditions and your image sharpness. Albert Watson http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03y85dl would've likely used a portable wind machine and a smoke generator ...

I can't help that my Ziess is sharp and I focussed it right, images should be sharp. I hate soft images.

You'll guess from my other threads, I am a big fan in stillness. I love tranquility and being up here is the best most relaxing feeling ever and is such an escape from the grind of going to work. I once had this project to deliver yonks back and TBH I wasn't upto the job, and I came up here just to relax, and everything didn't seem so bad.

Back