RANT Canon are CARP

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
NOT their Cameras (although that is open to debate) but their PRINTERS. Specifically, my iP4500. Don't get me wrong, the print quality is excellent for the price, I can't fault it. But why, oh why can't I print A6 borderless cards? The paper size selection has a custom setting where you can enter the correct size you need to the millimeter but the problem comes when you select borderless printing - the size reverts to a listed option. Try selecting borderless first and you find that custom is missing from the available paper sizes. Thinking I must be missing something I've visited an inkjet forum, where it is acknowledged as a common problem with Canon, with no known solution except trimming the card. :(

As I say, A6 (148 x 105mm) is not a recognized size in Canon World, the nearest is that well known size "Hagaki" (148 x 100mm). 5mm may not sound a lot but, as I keep telling my wife, it makes a big difference!

If anyone knows a solution I'd be grateful. :)

NOT their Cameras (although that is open to debate) but their PRINTERS.

somewhere on the internet there is a little Canon specific internet forum, the members will be cursing this place, and saying how bad you are for dissing Canon...

NOT their Cameras (although that is open to debate) but their PRINTERS. Specifically, my iP4500. Don't get me wrong, the print quality is excellent for the price, I can't fault it. But why, oh why can't I print A6 borderless cards? The paper size selection has a custom setting where you can enter the correct size you need to the millimeter but the problem comes when you select borderless printing - the size reverts to a listed option. Try selecting borderless first and you find that custom is missing from the available paper sizes. Thinking I must be missing something I've visited an inkjet forum, where it is acknowledged as a common problem with Canon, with no known solution except trimming the card. :(

As I say, A6 (148 x 105mm) is not a recognized size in Canon World, the nearest is that well known size "Hagaki" (148 x 100mm). 5mm may not sound a lot but, as I keep telling my wife, it makes a big difference!

If anyone knows a solution I'd be grateful. :)

Is it the driver at "fault" and would using QImage do the biz. I suggest you join their forum here and ask away http://ddisoftware.com/tech/index.php

I could only find one thread mentioning the ip4500 here http://ddisoftware.com/tech/printers/panoramas-canon-ip4500-653/ and not your problem though !

HTH :)

I have a canon mp460, which was great quality until i realised its an ink addicted wh0re of a printer.

£30 + for a full set of inks and it barely lasts a week, also impossoible to get compatible inks

really easy to get compatables actually

check out 7dayshop

I have a canon mp460, which was great quality until i realised its an ink addicted wh0re of a printer.

£30 + for a full set of inks and it barely lasts a week, also impossoible to get compatible inks

This is a general problem with the Canon print drivers. The printers are great, but whoever writes the drivers is an idiot - they are riddled with things that the printer can physically do but the driver won't let you select.

A lot of internet research confirms this is a general problem with Canon printers, but not just Canon, many others as well. So my apologies to Canon for singling them out but I'm still frustrated. In all other respects it's a great printer for the money although what gothgirl says about the cost of ink is right. I've just purchased a set of so-called compatable, chipped cartidges which don't work. :(

somewhere on the internet there is a little Canon specific internet forum, the members will be cursing this place, and saying how bad you are for dissing Canon...

The irony is not lost on me, Matty. Nice one. :D

Oh, if only Olympus made inkjet printers! :p

Soon I might be saying, "Oh, if only Olympus still made DSLR's." :crying:

Last edited:

I don't have a printer for 'dedicated' photography reasons but the all round printer we have (kids for school and wife for teaching) is a canon MP470.

Replacing the inks has been pretty cheap (3rd party) and it's been a reliable wee printer for copying, printing, family photos etc.

Last edited:
I don't have a printer for photography reasons but the printer we have (kids for school and wife for teaching) is a canon MP470.

Replacing the inks has been pretty cheap and it's been a reliable wee printer for copying, printing, photo's etc.

A full set of original Canon ink for my ip4500 is at least £50 even at cheapest discount prices and considerably more if I buy it locally. The cost per litre makes petrol look ridiculously cheap, but that's by no means exclusive to Canon. For text and low res images for my daughter's homework it is quite frugal but switch to high quality printing on photo paper and it rips through ink at an alarming rate. :eek:

My only gripe with my Canon printers is that neither of them will accept a cut strip of roll ppaper for printing panoramas. I save them up and print several at a time on A3+ then cut it down to individual strips. Oh, and ink prices but that's not a Canon exclusive gripe and 7dayshop reduces the burden as well!

Back