RANT:- Why can't people with websites create an email address??

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
I have getting emails from xxxxx@btinternet.com who are using it as a business email address for their company which has its own website???

I see trade vehicles with....

email:- bob4532@hotmail.com

Do they not understand how unprofessional it looks??

Its not hard to do either.

If you want to email as a business, register a domain and use an email address linked to that domain!!!!

Looks even worse on a sign-written vehicle.

Receiving mail to your domain email address is normally free with the registration isn't it - but isn't sending emails harder & not free?

If you have a domain then likely you have a website hosted, that hosting will generally have a control panel e.g. cPanel that will allow you to setup email.

Can get it set up for no extra cost really and can even control it though services like gmail.

I agree about the sign written vehicles!

You get either a number of email addresses with your domain or unlimited.

You download your emails via IMAP or POP3 from your web host. To send emails you need an SMTP server.

Most ISPs (Sky, Be, BT, orange etc.) have restricted use of the SMTP to only their own emails ie @sky.com or @btinternet.com. This is to reduce the spam that is being sent. Some even block port 25 to prevent you using your own SMTP server.

BT Internet allow you to register email addresses so that you can send email from addresses other than @btinternet.com

You need your own SMTP server, these can be provided by your web host either with the domain or may be an optional extra.

If you use Gmail, you can use it to collect your email from your host and you can use it to send email as if you were sending it from the business email address rather than an @gmail address.

Receiving email is pretty straight forward but to send email using the domain name is not as simple as you make it out to be.

You get either a number of email addresses with your domain or unlimited.

You download your emails via IMAP or POP3 from your web host. To send emails you need an SMTP server.

Most ISPs (Sky, Be, BT, orange etc.) have restricted use of the SMTP to only their own emails ie @sky.com or @btinternet.com. This is to reduce the spam that is being sent. Some even block port 25 to prevent you using your own SMTP server....

This is why I'm so grateful I use a smaller independent ISP without all this port blocking nonsense. :cool:

ziggy©;4088173 said:
Receiving email is pretty straight forward but to send email using the domain name is not as simple as you make it out to be.

It is not exactly hard either though is it?

ziggy© said:

Yes it is

I'm pretty sure sky does or did 2 years ago, I had to setup a remote smtp server for my sister so she could send emails. Sky also blocked port 25

I'm pretty sure sky does or did 2 years ago, I had to setup a remote smtp server for my sister so she could send emails. Sky also blocked port 25

Fair enough, but as I'm on Sky, and have been since they launched their broadband service and all my non-sky.com email addresses work fine I beg to differ ;)

ziggy©;4088173 said:

You change the sender address in your email client to use the domain name instead of something@yourisp.com. That's pretty simple.

You change the sender address in your email client to use the domain name instead of something@yourisp.com. That's pretty simple.

I am using Outlook 2003 - Care to share how to change the sender address in outlook without having to configure anything (e,g SMTP)?
Or even better, how do you change the sender address (note: not the reply-to address) when using services like Gmail, hotmail etc which is what most people use. :)

Last edited:
ziggy©;4090920 said:
I am using Outlook 2003 - Care to share how to change the sender address in outlook without having to configure anything (e,g SMTP)?
I don't use Outlook, but it's all automatic in Thunderbird. Once you have configured the account (incoming/outgoing servers etc) then any mail that comes sent to user@example.com will get replied to from user@example.com and will use the server set up in example.coms settings (normally something like smtp.example.com)

I can't believe Outlook is any different (although I'm never 100% surprised by MS s/w).

ziggy©;4090927 said:
If you are very computer literate then it probably is not very difficult but i dont really expect everyone who has a website to know how to configure an SMTP server or set one up.

The OP is talking about people who have a domain name as well as hosting and to be honest any hosting service worth its salt will come with the email side of things all set up SMTP server etc.

And no you don't have to be computer literate to set up email accounts, it really isn't that hard

ziggy©;4090920 said:
Or even better, how do you change the sender address (note: not the reply-to address) when using services like Gmail, hotmail etc which is what most people use. :)

If you have hosting for your website and have set up an email address there it is pretty straight forward to do.

You just set up an email account in outlook using your domain email address

so using contact@website.com as an example

for the incoming and outgoing servers in outlook you would set them both up as mail.website.com

To be honest if you use a decent host a lot of this will be automatic from the setting up of your email account to even getting it to auto configure your email client.

first thing I did when I set up my business was have the domain email too, a decent host you can log into your account to get them & send from there or set it up through your pc or mac its not difficult, to me its just laziness & looks awful

ziggy©;4088173 said:

Sorry but its really simple ...... once you know how :)

ziggy©;4088173 said:

I am far from computer literate.

I have a domain and a website.

I can send/receive emails using my domain name using the email facility within the host's website

I can send/receive emails using my domain name using Outlook

Trust me, if I can do it, it's pretty simple. ;)

I am glad I am not the only one who hates that. And even if the company doesnt have a website, using an isp based email address is just daft. You can never change providers for a better deal as youll loose that email.

If it is so easy to do and peeps are having trouble understanding how to do it..........why don't one of you do a tutorial on the subject...give something back to the community.

Us technophobes cannot see the wood for the trees so we need all the help we can

If it is so easy to do and peeps are having trouble understanding how to do it..........why don't one of you do a tutorial on the subject...give something back to the community.

Us technophobes cannot see the wood for the trees so we need all the help we can

I can only speak from my own experience Tom, but I was walked through it when I set my website hosting up (with 12-reg). Certainly didn't have to do anything additional to be able to send using the domain.

Not much point in doing a tutorial when it would be different depending on who your site is hosted with. Best thing people can do is contact the hosts and they should be able to help.

Why would you need a tutorial to type in the details of an outgoing mail server if you can manage typing in the details of an incoming mail server. It really is no different than that.

It is good practise to ALWAYS do that anyway as not many Internet Service Providers will have an open outgoing mail service since that would be easily abused by spammers.

Why would you need a tutorial to type in the details of an outgoing mail server if you can manage typing in the details of an incoming mail server. It really is no different than that.

It is good practise to ALWAYS do that anyway as not many Internet Service Providers will have an open outgoing mail service since that would be easily abused by spammers.

Some folk will not have a clue what you are talking about..... doesn't make them thick...just uneducated in that department.

Did I call them thick?

But come on, if you can read your incoming mail details why is there all of a sudden a mental block in ones ability to read outgoing mail details.

Did I call them thick?

But come on, if you can read your incoming mail details why is there all of a sudden a mental block in ones ability to read outgoing mail details.

So while you keep wittering on to me, why don't you post an easy steps example, what we need to look for etc.... or don't you know....some peeps are scared stiff of inputting stuff into settings boxes in case they 'break' it.

I never said you called them thick.

As I have said, and others before me several times. Your ISP provides you with a welcome message that has BOTH your incoming mail and outgoing mail servers on it.

You type in your incoming mail details in your Incoming Mail section also referred to as POP3 or IMAP server or whatever your specific email client likes to call it. And you type in your outgoing mail details in your Outgoing Mail section also referred to as SMTP server or whatever your specific email client likes to call it.

As also said before without knowing what email client and which domain/email hosting provider is being used it is impossible to write a easy steps example. It is normally something that all internet providers have on their own website.

As I have said, and others before me several times. Your ISP provides you with a welcome message that has BOTH your incoming mail and outgoing mail servers on it.

You type in your incoming mail details in your Incoming Mail section also referred to as POP3 or IMAP server or whatever your specific email client likes to call it. And you type in your outgoing mail details in your Outgoing Mail section also referred to as SMTP server or whatever your specific email client likes to call it.

As also said before without knowing what email client and which domain/email hosting provider is being used it is impossible to write a easy steps example. It is normally something that all internet providers have on their own website.

what is POP3, what is IMAP...where do I enter these settings....I have been with my email provider for 10 years where is my welcome message....the list could continue.....but alas it looks like you don't grasp the idea of simple plain easy steps for a BEGINNER.... just because people use a computer, does not mean they know anything about the settings.

Now that is a rant.

So while you keep wittering on to me, why don't you post an easy steps example, what we need to look for etc.... or don't you know....some peeps are scared stiff of inputting stuff into settings boxes in case they 'break' it.

Assuming you have an email account set up in your email client to send email as someone@someisp.co.uk and you have a website www.yourdomain.com.

Go into the account settings and where it has the email address shown as 'someone@someisp.co.uk' change that to read 'someone@yourdomain.com'

That's all. It will change the sender address on all emails you send to be someone@yourdomain.com. You don't need to change servers, just send them through your ISP just as you have been doing.

NOTE: Some rubbish ISPs have outgoing mail relays configured in a broken way and don't allow sender addresses other than those of the isp. The solution to this is to use a non-rubbish ISP.

NOTE 2: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

Oi tiler, now I am getting annoyed with you. Why would I know where your welcome message is or anyone else? Besides didn't I cover that by saying looking on the internet providers website.

You don't need to understand what POP3 or IMAP is, I've put it in context of your incoming mail section and also stated that without you stating who your provider is or what email client you use one can't make it any more simple.

Take some responsibility for your own actions will you, Mod Edit. No need for that. And that is not even a rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have an email account set up in your email client to send email as someone@someisp.co.uk and you have a website www.yourdomain.com.

Go into the account settings and where it has the email address shown as 'someone@someisp.co.uk' change that to read 'someone@yourdomain.com'

That's all. It will change the sender address on all emails you send to be someone@yourdomain.com. You don't need to change servers, just send them through your ISP just as you have been doing.

NOTE: Some rubbish ISPs have outgoing mail relays configured in a broken way and don't allow sender addresses other than those of the isp. The solution to this is to use a non-rubbish ISP.

NOTE 2: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

What if I am using Outlook....very old version....I have my host email provider address me@hotgoogle.com, and I want to add to outlook my domain name email , sales@mysite.com, do I add a new pop3 email, imap, http, Microsoft Ex Server or Additional mail server.... these are the options I am given.....

Do I need to contact my web host to see what mail sever address is?

Oi tiler, now I am getting annoyed with you. Why would I know where your welcome message is or anyone else? Besides didn't I cover that by saying looking on the internet providers website.

You don't need to understand what POP3 or IMAP is, I've put it in context of your incoming mail section and also stated that without you stating who your provider is or what email client you use one can't make it any more simple.

Take some responsibility for your own actions will you, Mod Edit. No need for that. And that is not even a rant.

:dummy:

Last edited by a moderator:
but alas it looks like you don't grasp the idea of simple plain easy steps for a BEGINNER
There isn't a universal set of steps as it depends on your mail program and ISP. That was said in the message you quoted....

Back