RANT:- Why can't people with websites create an email address??

I do like these replies when they give info without actually doing anything to help....it just means more trawling, more trying to find out stuff etc....just when I thought this community was a sharing one.
If you give a person a fish....

Not yet, they sent me the same details everyone else has regarding the google set up.....and say it must work...well it doesn't with Outlook 2002. I am I the last person in the world to have Outlook 2002? How much is the upgrade by the way?

You keep saying outlook 2002 is old. It is not very old i am sure it can be configured to use SMTP. I remeber using SMTP in a much older version of outlook.

Not yet, they sent me the same details everyone else has regarding the google set up.....and say it must work...well it doesn't with Outlook 2002. I am I the last person in the world to have Outlook 2002? How much is the upgrade by the way?

Why would they send you details regarding google setup, you have your hosting of your domain with someone else.

Just ask them only the question that I send you, no need for anything else.

Tom,

There are a lot of places that do a similar thing and I am actually going to do one of my tutorials on this subject at some point in the next week or so.......

Why would they send you details regarding google setup, you have your hosting of your domain with someone else.

Just ask them only the question that I send you, no need for anything else.

i have but I think they think I am a pain in the neck and are very slow to respond, I am in the process of getting a new blog based site so hopefully I won't be with them for too long.

Tom,

There are a lot of places that do a similar thing and I am actually going to do one of my tutorials on this subject at some point in the next week or so.......

Can't wait Darren, just make sure it is English.....;)

i have but I think they think I am a pain in the neck and are very slow to respond, I am in the process of getting a new blog based site so hopefully I won't be with them for too long.

Can't wait Darren, just make sure it is English.....;)

It will even have pictures :)

Basically the steps are

1. Choose your domain(s)
  2. Register it/them and set it/them to point to the VPS's name server (I will give you step by step instructions with pictures!)
  3. Choose your VPS package and get IP address etc....
  4. Install the VPS control panel
  5. Setup the VPS control panel for each domain's web site and FTP access
  6. Setup the VPS control panel for each domain's email

Plus optionally web based email etc.

Plus you get a folder which you can then use to store all your pictures for using on here etc.

so http://www.yourdomain.co.uk/pictures/xxx.jpg etc

Once done you can then add extra domains for about $3 per year each!

Total cost $3 per year per domain and £3.30 per month for hosting it.

If you want to get started by choosing your domain etc I will be using www.namecheap.com for the domains and www.VMport.com for the VPS

but don't nick all the good domain names :LOL:

I have getting emails from xxxxx@btinternet.com who are using it as a business email address for their company which has its own website???

I see trade vehicles with....

email:- bob4532@hotmail.com

Do they not understand how unprofessional it looks??

Its not hard to do either.

If you want to email as a business, register a domain and use an email address linked to that domain!!!!

I have a number of customers that do this, and they reason is

1. avoidance of SPAM
2. they alwyas have used the same Gmail account for everything, because they work from work, home, on the move, and prefer a webmail interface
3. they have multiple businesses, but doent want to faff with lots of accounts

Regardless of what you feel about it, a lot of people have the mindset that that's how they always did it, and the website is "something out there" that is not important to them, their printer or accountants start up package included a basic 1 page website, which they haven't looked at or changed for 7 years

Regardless of what you feel about it, a lot of people have the mindset that that's how they always did it, and the website is "something out there" that is not important to them, their printer or accountants start up package included a basic 1 page website, which they haven't looked at or changed for 7 years
That's fine, and I can understand that. For some businesses it doesn't matter, but if you use the web as a method of promoting your business, you make a far better impression if you have a mail address that matches your domain.

My partner is just starting up in business and she believes it is so important that she has a domain linked mail address before the website is even done (which reminds me, there's something I should be doing :cool:)...

Likewise, I've never really done anything with the website (not important in my main business) but email is everything.

Back