[Rant] Why does nobody in printing/publishing seem to understand resolution, file formats, etc?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to supply some artwork to a magazine. I asked them for the specifications. I was expecting them to advise me of:
  • pixel dimensions - or final print dimensions and required PPI
  • acceptable file formats - JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.
  • colour space - SRGB, ARGB, CMYK (and if so which variant) etc.
Here's the reply I received.
It would need to be the following if possible: 300 dpi. Ideally we want a vector – and .eps or .svg or .ai file.

The thing that gets me is that this is what these people do. It's not an abstruse hobby. It's their job. How can they be so incompetent?

Maybe I'm wrong and I learn something here but if they want a vector file (scalable by definition) then that makes pixel dimension and file format irrelevant and they can translate whatever colour space they want.

They should be able to handle PDFs. That's what I send to print mags.

I'm trying to supply some artwork to a magazine.

The thing that gets me is that this is what these people do. It's not an abstruse hobby. It's their job. How can they be so incompetent?

If it is line artwork (and not a photograph) they've supplied you with exactly the correct details.

I'm afraid the misunderstanding is probably yours.

Maybe I'm wrong and I learn something here but if they want a vector file (scalable by definition) then that makes pixel dimension and file format irrelevant and they can translate whatever colour space they want.

This was my thinking too. Are you supplying photographs or are they graphics things (like logos or something)?

As for incompetence, I just think it's more prevalent these days. It's not about what you can do any more, it's about what you say you can do (or what you make people think you can do with your shiny things). It wouldn't surprise me if they have 20 people working in marketing, and one poor teenager straight out of school doing the "techy" print stuff as well as their IT and their building security. That's pretty much how our company works. [/GrumpyOldManRant]

This was my thinking too. Are you supplying photographs or are they graphics things (like logos or something)?

As for incompetence, I just think it's more prevalent these days. It's not about what you can do any more, it's about what you say you can do (or what you make people think you can do with your shiny things). It wouldn't surprise me if they have 20 people working in marketing, and one poor teenager straight out of school doing the "techy" print stuff as well as their IT and their building security. That's pretty much how our company works. [/GrumpyOldManRant]

I think I've worked there :D I bet this is true in so many workplaces.

Yes - eps is our standard at work for vector artwork. 300ppi at the required pixel dimensions for photos. And if a client insists on 72ppi for screen/web one more time I think there may be a tremor in the force l!

If it is line artwork (and not a photograph) they've supplied you with exactly the correct details.

I'm afraid the misunderstanding is probably yours.
I have to say I'm impressed with the way you went from "if it is line artwork..." to deciding that the misunderstanding is probably mine, without having any information whatsoever about the "artwork".

If the requirements specify that it must be a vector file, then fine. But then there would be no need to mention dpi, would there?

On the other hand, if a vector file is preferred but not absolutely required - as is the case here - then do you think "300 dpi" is adequate specification for a JPEG image?

I get it all the time, marketing departments needing changes to a graphic so I ask for the file, they send over a pdf which was a jpeg and just saved as a pdf (to make it into a vector graphic!!).

There is a basic level of understanding that is missing 'out there' with people that should know better in their job!

I feel for you!

I think I've worked there :D I bet this is true in so many workplaces.
On the other hand I got a few very profitable jobs fixing the mess... :naughty:

Back