Rapeseed field (more added)

cuthbert

Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew Me Dibble and Grubb
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
this weekend i got to use my camera outside for the first time in over 3 weeks, the weather here has been pretty much rain every day and even then, i only got around 20 minutes shooting before it started chucking it down again.

i actually wanted to try a few different compositions and angles out but sadly, was stopped by the weather. Hopefully we'll get a few nice days this month otherwise all the blossom and lovely springtime flowers will have gone :-(

c+c as always very much appreciated.

7005721648_cee64a2aed_c.jpg

7151916503_77f4ccfee7_c.jpg

7154162591_d99bc2dc86_c.jpg

7007620426_6eb625eae0_c.jpg

7151832715_b74e2bb054_c.jpg

7154198902_97f6543a02_c.jpg

Last edited:
7151802635_6c431e9d8d_c.jpg

and no7, taken on the same day, but in a different location entirely and my little girl is trying out new school uniform.

Lovely set of shots there. I like the crops and how you have used the depth of field a lot. Nothing to say that would improve on these really. Number 5 is my fave but only just as 1 and 2 are both very nice too.

As always, a cracking set!!

Compositions look good and I like the processing too!

Is it just my screen or are the faces all a bit bright and lacking skin colour?
Really like the compositions, shallow dof, and bright colours of the yellow and green rape and blue sky.
The black and white one is a corker too!

what a really nice set, my personal faves, No2 & No6- the Oilseed Rape blossom works very well as a BG, given me something to think about that has, thanks for sharing

Les (y)

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments.

Just for info, I used the Canon EF 135 f2 lens at f2, I didn't use any filters on the lens, despite being a horrible day there was some blue sky over the horizon - those pictures make it look much nicer than it really was.

Tim - i'm afraid as far as the skintone/complexion goes, both my children's faces are pretty much pale white, this is what they look like!

Very nice. I like them all...

Really nice work. I love the use of DOF and the compositions. The innocence of the children amongst the flowers is a really nice touch. (y)

It's sets like this that show me just how far off (measured in light-years) I am from calling myself a photographer. :shrug:

If I had to choose a favourite it'd have to be #1 because it has a real feel of 3D to it. It's not just an image, it's almost real. :)

No.2 is easily the best of a lovely bunch. There are some fabulous captures here of what look like fabulous children.

Love the Thomas jumper!

Spooks

great as always mark - that thomas jumper - is that a home knitted one or bought - i want one for my son

great as always mark - that thomas jumper - is that a home knitted one or bought - i want one for my son

I want one for me!

Really lovely photos; I think number 6 has to be my favorite, mostly due to your daughters expression!

Thanks again everyone for all your kind comments.

Joe - I'm afraid that jumper is a "Nanny Special"! He loves that thing, when he saw me editing the pics he went stomping off saying 'thomas on, thomas on' trying to find it.

Just a few more from a work we had at the weekend. hopefully this nice spell will continue!

c+c as always very welcome.

7198356160_d8e5b6bd5a_c.jpg

7198358300_371365e7ec_c.jpg

7198352950_ccebd4a41d_c.jpg

7198357374_b30ff7c701_c.jpg

7198354476_c211660c1a_b.jpg

That mono-tone processing i've seen in a few of your shots now is superb!

In general for the shots of the kids do you go out with ideas in mind.. i.e. set-up the shots and get them to pose?

Are you going out specifically to shoot? or are these moments captured as part of a normal family outing?

Reason I ask is everything looks so natural but yet composition and framing is spot on.

In my many attempts at photographing our niece I tend to find I miss the moment I see in the viewfinder by fiddling around trying to get a nice composition and she quickly loses interest!

Keep up the good work.

Gary

Thank you Gary.

It's a bit of a mixture really, some of the shots (ie the rapeseed field) were a special trip, i wanted a field on an incline and this was the best i could find but mostly they are just taken on days out.

i'm very lucky that my kids just love going for walks in the woods and exploring (i know others that just want to watch tv over the weekend, that would do my head in, I hate tv), they explicitly ask to go out every weekend and i try to make a game of photography with them so it doesn't get too onerous - we'll do a few shots, have a play and run around, do a few more - usually only a few minutes at time. sometimes it's frustrating and they don't stay still, look in the right place but i just have to stick with it. some weekends i'll get a bunch of keepers, others just one or two.

i'd say that as i my passion for photography has grown, I can see and keep an eye out for things that are visually interesting in the environment that i can incorporate into the photograph, i go for lots of walks on my own in my lunch hour and even though we rarely go as a family where i walk at work, it gives me ideas and inspiration, i try to see and spot compositions everywhere. it's a horrible disease as often i wish i'd actually taken my camera to work sometimes.

there is one element that is virtually unseen in almost all my photographs, but is perhaps the one single component that makes almost each and every one of these images possible: my wife.

she is very patient and helps me get the kids looking in the right direction and holds the reflector/flash/softbox for me (it helps that she's a sucker for a photograph and wants the pics of the children growing up) - she's very good at having games with them and asking them to tell her what they did at school or whatever, it's these things that gets the emotion and funny faces, they are real conversations, she is usually standing right behind me.

you'll also notice that i get many, many more photos of my little girl than my boy. the girl is a poser. she loves wiggling and dancing in front of the camera. the boy is a nutcase, he won't say still, ever. shooting something like that with a 5d2, at f2 or less isn't easy.

some shots of him take many attempts - these two here -

6931670654_baf05ba298_c.jpg

6931493850_e5f0483342_c.jpg

must have taken around 100 clicks to get. he was just in one of those moods, but i got there in the end. i suppose really, it's just making a game of it and trying to make them think it's a good idea to ride a log like an alligator or stand in a field with an umbrella. i'm sure they'll wise up to it in the end!

Mark,

A fascinating insight into the work that goes on behind the scenes!. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

A real team effort by the sounds of it! Your wife will have no shortage of pictures to look back on when they are older. I guess the sincerity of the poses comes from the great connection between photographer, assistant and subject.

Great that the kids enjoy it too and love the outdoors. Always suprises me how empty some local 'free' outdoor attractions can be, even in good weather.

Also looks like Nanny's jumper is in demand!

All the best.

Gary

Thanks again everyone for all your kind comments.

Joe - I'm afraid that jumper is a "Nanny Special"! He loves that thing, when he saw me editing the pics he went stomping off saying 'thomas on, thomas on' trying to find it.

How much would she charge? No really!

wow..these cheered me up for the day..absalutley beautiful images..you have stunning children that dont mind the camera ;)..Some of the effects also remind me of florabella's actions and presets..i have some and there so difficult to use..but if its your own personal edits..then well done..there quality images.
x
N

Great set Mark, 9 and 10 for me, I know its your style of PP but her skin tones are looking a bit muddy in 10 and may benefit from a bit of a lift.

Good compositions and expressions :)

In the 2nd lot, I think number 9 has my vote!

Fantastic set. 2, 5 & 9 are my pick.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Back