Rate my website

Name
Eddy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys! Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section... I'd be most appreciative if any of you could take a few moments to look through my website and let me know your thoughts! What you like, what you dislike and anything that you'd change. Comments on individual photos (and if you think they should be removed) are welcome too :)

http://www.reynoldsphoto.co.uk/

Works well. Looks nice.

A couple of points. When I click on 'Photography' in the menu, it takes me to your portraits page. I'd make it unclickable.

On the home page you've got two pretty much identical photos (the wedding couple).

Also, if I'm honest the are some beautiful photos, but some very average ones. Is that cat photo really one of the best photos you've ever taken?

Works well. Looks nice.

A couple of points. When I click on 'Photography' in the menu, it takes me to your portraits page. I'd make it unclickable.

On the home page you've got two pretty much identical photos (the wedding couple).

Also, if I'm honest the are some beautiful photos, but some very average ones. Is that cat photo really one of the best photos you've ever taken?

Thanks for the feedback :) I have disabled the People & Portraits page, as like you say, the photos on there are very average. I'll reenable the page once I have some better photos worth showing off! I have also removed the duplicate photo of the wedding couple from the home page! Thanks for the comments :)

Last edited:
What's the purpose of the website?

It's a decent enough vanity site (nothing wrong with having one of those) but it would be a poor professional website.

What's the purpose of the website?

It's a decent enough vanity site (nothing wrong with having one of those) but it would be a poor professional website.

I'm an amateur, I suppose you could say "semi-professional" photographer, in that I have been paid for my photography before now... A handful of weddings, music gigs. How would you suggest I improve if I wanted to attract more customers?

Umm.. well it's not clear you are selling your services from that website, there's no market offer, there's no call to action..

(btw, I rather like this shot but can't put my finger on why.. http://www.reynoldsphoto.co.uk/weddings/61gd75c78mcya5gy9v3xco5n3c5toj)

Probably because it's not often you see an older couple getting married :) I quite enjoyed shooting that wedding - was the first one I did!

I have a 'Contact' page with a little spiel about hiring me http://www.reynoldsphoto.co.uk/contact/ - would you recommend something bolder?

would you recommend something bolder?
Yes. If you're doing this to build business you ought to be upfront about what you do, where you do it and why someone should book you from the homepage. Your marketing plan should have identified your market and what's attractive to them before you picked the Squarespace theme..

Your Contact page also links to Twitter and Facebook, don't link to personal accounts - keep business separate from anything you might make a post to post-pub.

I certainly support the comments from Alastair. You need clarity and think all the time of the purpose of the website. The engagements page (I have not looked at the photos) is a bit off. It seems like you got a couple of models and you took some photos. Be more selective, find/take more photos of people and call it something relevant (people, portraits ... xxyyzz etc) this does not look like engagements to me (or you did not mean engagements where rings exchange hands ... I am lost). Engagements Commissions ???

I do not get the 200615 ... some date relevant to that out of focus couple (revolving photo on your homepage)? A bit soft trying to add romance to a date. Some of the landscapes you try to show as romantic photos too which would be fair enough if your site was about landscapes but I get confused between them and the soft focus style of wedding photos.

Finally, if I click on the logo it takes me to the home page. If I click your name I expect to go to "About John Reynolds" but I go to the home page. I think your name should link to a page about you and that is at least one place where you give a short bio. and explain what you are trying to achieve with the website. You need this page whichever way you link to it as that will be that start of trying to focus on what the site is about.

Sorry for bumping thoughts a bit at random. If I start double checking what I write I will forget what I am trying to say :)

Last edited:
I disagree with this. The logo should always link back to the home page. If you want the about page, click the about page.
The logo (the graphic) links to the home page. The name/surname (in text) also links to the home page. There is no "About" link.

Back