Rathlin Island

Edit My Images
No
Here is one I took yesterday on beautiful Rathlin Island. It's an HDR from 1 RAW file shot with the Pentax K20D and the Tamron 10-24mm lens.

Rathlin Island Set on flickr to see more.

Very clean, perhaps almost too HDR for my tastes. How do you do an HDR from a single shot? Do you split it into a number of shots at different EV settings and process it exactly as if it were several shots taken on location at different exposures, or just run it as some kind of a pseudo HDR in the software?

Very clean, perhaps almost too HDR for my tastes. How do you do an HDR from a single shot? Do you split it into a number of shots at different EV settings and process it exactly as if it were several shots taken on location at different exposures, or just run it as some kind of a pseudo HDR in the software?

I chose to HDR this one because I thought it would bring out the textures and it did. In ACR I created 3 different exposures (0, -2, +2). Saved them as Tiff's and processed them in Photomatix.

I chose to HDR this one because I thought it would bring out the textures and it did. In ACR I created 3 different exposures (0, -2, +2). Saved them as Tiff's and processed them in Photomatix.

Ok, now my next question...why do we go to the trouble of taking anything up to 6 different exposures in the field when we can do this emulation on the computer, which to my eyes seems to work fine? There must be some downside to what seems to be a very obvious time and trouble saver.....

Ok, now my next question...why do we go to the trouble of taking anything up to 6 different exposures in the field when we can do this emulation on the computer, which to my eyes seems to work fine? There must be some downside to what seems to be a very obvious time and trouble saver.....

From experience it work's for some photos and not for others. This photo didn't need HDR because the camera was able to record the dynamic range of the scene. But I wanted to give it that extra Oomph and felt that HDR was the way to go to achieve this. For situations where the dynamic range is outisde the camera's range then HDR is definitely the way to go in most cases.

From experience it work's for some photos and not for others. This photo didn't need HDR because the camera was able to record the dynamic range of the scene. But I wanted to give it that extra Oomph and felt that HDR was the way to go to achieve this. For situations where the dynamic range is outisde the camera's range then HDR is definitely the way to go in most cases.

Ok, I know this all sounds too techy for the forum, but I haven't yet seen a photo, even on JPEG, where the shadows don't reveal their contents by raising the EV by two or three stops, and even the highlights by pulling the EV in, all the more so with a RAW file. Why the 4/5/6 shots in the field?

Ok, I know this all sounds too techy for the forum, but I haven't yet seen a photo, even on JPEG, where the shadows don't reveal their contents by raising the EV by two or three stops, and even the highlights by pulling the EV in, all the more so with a RAW file. Why the 4/5/6 shots in the field?

Don't know.... I only take 3 at the most.. :LOL:
Capturing the dynamic range there and then is more true than using software to recover what is recoverable. A lot of blown highlights is pretty much unrecoverable and lightening the shadows results in noise.

Don't know.... I only take 3 at the most.. :LOL:
Capturing the dynamic range there and then is more true than using software to recover what is recoverable. A lot of blown highlights is pretty much unrecoverable and lightening the shadows results in noise.

Ah, I understand, yes I can see the point about noise. I make really noisy photos!

Thanks for indulging me.

And another one I did from 1 RAW file..

The Rosemajellla on Rathlin.

Back