Rattlesnake shoot

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to try something different with a few of my rattlesnakes.

They might be marmite images though?

Feel free to comment.

DSC_9176-XL.jpg

Not actually a Rattler but a dangerous species just the same..........Ornate Cantil

DSC_9220-1-XL.jpg

A young and very angry Hopi Rattlesnake

DSC_9200-1-XL.jpg

A neonate Baja Rattlesnake

DSC_9191-1-XL.jpg

One of my hypomelanistic Baja Rattlesnakes

you can probably see what I am trying to achieve, whether people like the style is another thing

I can confirm you have scared the crap out of me on a Sunday morning, I like the images but the thought of these as 'pets' is TERRIFYING. :eek:

Think the double reflection on first 3 quite distracting think it needs to be pin sharp. Like the last one think the green can work wonders.

#4 is my pick and is exactly how I want to shoot my friends snakes when I get a chance.

Any tips?

Think the double reflection on first 3 quite distracting think it needs to be pin sharp. Like the last one think the green can work wonders.

#4 is my pick and is exactly how I want to shoot my friends snakes when I get a chance.

Any tips?

Not sure what you mean about pin sharp?

Best tip is dont get bitten, hospital food is generally poor

Great shots, love the reflections in the last one. I've only started spotting and photographing our Adders over the last couple of years, and found them quite obliging in the wild . With proper respect for a wild and poisonous creature they are quite fascinating to watch , and more abundant than I first thought .

I like these i really love snakes and find then challenging subjects at the best of times working with hot species I can only imagine safety is paramount but well done...... my most wanted 2 snakes are an eyelash viper and a wagler's pit viper but they are future projects preferably when the kids have left home

i think the last one is best, the other reflections are confusing not sure how you got them :/

i think the last one is best, the other reflections are confusing not sure how you got them :/
I understand what you mean now.

I think its a very old thick mirror and that may have caused the multiple images.

This was my first attempt so I am sure I will get it right............eventually

If these are on a mirror then that is why you are getting two reflections, one is from the silvered mirror surface and the other is from the glass itself. Just use a piece of acrylic or glass and you should be able to get really nice reflections. Nice snakes btw :)

Last edited:
I understand what you mean now.

I think its a very old thick mirror and that may have caused the multiple images.

This was my first attempt so I am sure I will get it right............eventually

I don't doubt it... try shiny black acrylic rather than a mirror. ;)

Agree about the reflections on the first 3 but the last one is a wonderful shot:)

As someone who shoots snakes on a regular basis, and mine are non venomous, i'm impressed that you managed to make them sit still for any length of time never mind the multiple image thing -)

Last edited:
put them in fridge and thatll slow them.... learned that on munchies when they cooked a huge snake

probably bad for the snake tho

put them in fridge and thatll slow them.... learned that on munchies when they cooked a huge snake

probably bad for the snake tho

Certainly wouldnt use that methodology it might be viewed as abuse.

I find it quite easy to get them to sit still.

As someone who shoots snakes on a regular basis, and mine are non venomous, i'm impressed that you managed to make them sit still for any length of time never mind the multiple image thing -)
Some species of snake pose much better than others vipers especially rattlers are ambush predators and as such are happy to sit still long enough for you to compose and shoot your shot, blood pythons are another good example of a sit and pose snake try it with a dwarf retic and you will be on a hiding to nothing my trick is to place the snake on the surface you wish to shoot it on and cover it with something like a plant pot base just big enough to completely cover the snake its purpose is to keep the snake in the dark and being snug gives the animal confidence, once you have composed your shot remove the cover and for a few seconds the snake generally will remain where it is but it also helps to have the surface your shooting on so it will rotate so you can turn the snake with as little disturbance as possible

Last edited:
Back