Rattray Head Lighthouse

wilmorh

Admin's Favourite Member
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening, been off of here for about a while now, but I'm back again! took this the other day, had mixed reviews at home, but I quite like it:)

Rattray Head Lighthouse, Aberdeenshire:

DSC_0590-web.jpg

:)

(I promised myself I would critique the oldest uncritiqued image so here goes.....)

I can see why you have had mixed reviews (I think)

On the one hand it has some good compositional features, eg:

- horizontal thirds (beach/sea/sky)

- foreground interest (green coloured rocks)

- diminishing size of rocks giving depth, in addition to the lighthouse

On the other hand:

- the lighthouse is in the middle of the picture, vertically

- the two sets of rocks in the foreground lead the eye in different directions

- the sky is not very interesting.

So (maybe, just maybe (I guess Space 1999 is before your time so you might not be familiar with the phrase:))) it could be improved by:

- cropping so that the light house is on the right hand vertical third

- only the rocks on the left hand side are visible, giving a stronger 'leading of the eye' to the light house

- doing something to the sky to make it more interesting (can't advise what as still working out how to use PSE 11)

Anyway - hope that gives you something to ponder. It's always easier to suggest how something can be improved rather than producing something good in the first place.

A simple but yet good composition: I completely disagree with Elines, the lighthouse just in the middle is very fine, the two sets of rocks too and I don't see why the sky is not "very interesting". Any crop will weak the picture.

A simple but yet good composition: I completely disagree with Elines, the lighthouse just in the middle is very fine, the two sets of rocks too and I don't see why the sky is not "very interesting". Any crop will weak the picture.

Fairy Nuff. Each to his/her own.

But a bit more detail for your conclusions would help both me and wilmorh to reconsider our respective views.

lol, thanks both of you, and I'm happy to take on board the critique, and it definitely seems to divide people:bonk: Thank you again for taking time to have a look, will have a play and see what happens:D

Back