Critique Rattray Head Lighthouse

Lovely set 2 for me I like the muted colours of the image.

It's a nice lighthouse and the set is nice. Of the close-ups I like the 2nd to last shot best and I like the last shot the very best because it opens up a bit to show some of it's surroundings.

Nice selection, the last is my favourite image, #4 is my favourite for the character of the lighthouse, although I would prefer it slightly less dominant. Is it me, or does it appear that #2 is fractionally on the wonk? giving the impression that it is being pushed over ever so slightly? I wonder if the effect is magnified by the tower being off centre of the pediment in that.

Last edited:
Last one for me - the waves and hint of colour in the sky. Just add a few seagulls and it would be perfect ;)

I was cursing the birds on the lighthouse itself.

I've been and it's been completely bird free before and for me that's perfect. All the shots are timed so moving birds aren't in the frame :D

All give a feel for the place in terms of space, water movement and effect, but the lighting on No4 is my keeper.

Number 5 followed by 4 for me. One thing that kills this spot every time for me, and that's the fact there's one spot along the beach where the lighthouse isn't off centre to the base. It doesn't sit well for me unless centred, but that's more my head than anything else :ROFLMAO:

Number 5 followed by 4 for me. One thing that kills this spot every time for me, and that's the fact there's one spot along the beach where the lighthouse isn't off centre to the base. It doesn't sit well for me unless centred, but that's more my head than anything else :ROFLMAO:
Yes, it sits forward on its base.

I struggle with making sure I'm completely perpendicular to the lighthouse and simultaneously completely level.

It is easier to go on a diagonal and worry less.

I thought you'd have gone for 3 with the darker sky. It's "the one" for me

Yes, it sits forward on its base.

I struggle with making sure I'm completely perpendicular to the lighthouse and simultaneously completely level.

It is easier to go on a diagonal and worry less.

I thought you'd have gone for 3 with the darker sky. It's "the one" for me

I like 3, but it's the waves in 5 that do it for me :)

Number 1 and number 4 for me with number 3 very close. No, I've changed my mind. I like 1, 3 and 4 the best. No, changed my mind again and number 3 it is for me :D and I can see why number 3 is your choice but that didn't influence me :D

As it's for critique, to me number 1 is a bit too soft and the last is a touch too cold, but tastes vary.

Last edited:
Back