Rattray Head

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
As I was heading up to Aberdeen for the football it would be rude not to spend a night in the car and visit a few landscape hotspots. Rattray Head is one of my favourite places and the road in matched the quality of my favourite teams play, chronic. I spent 7 hours on the beach in conditions best described as changeable. It was blowing a hoolie at first but I managed about 30 minutes of really nice light and filled my wellies with water 3 times from the waves which were crashing in. I have had a quick look and an initial process of the ones that caught my eye

A7R09099-Edit by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R09159 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R09206 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R09261 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R09264 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A7R08989 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

A grand set but number 3 steals it for me, purely for the colour of the water and the chosen shutter speed, as it remind me of my best day spent there.
Cheers, it was up there for me as one of the few I managed to capture the waves and get a bit of light. The waves were stronger in the morning but the sun didn't play ball.

Lovely set. As posted no.2 for me but i suspect a square crop on first could change my mind

Me too ;)
I have it pencilled in for a sunrise shoot sometime soon
I drove up with that in mind but tiredness got the better of me and I had to park up. Ended up at Dunnottor. I'm up to Dingwall on Saturday so will try to visit another part of the north east coast. I presume the Salmon have stopped running so no dolphins

Just lovely work Simon great use of angles and shutter speeds.

I love No3

What a nice set. I would have gladly put up with a few welly fulls of water for these. 3 definitely being my favourite.

I drove up with that in mind but tiredness got the better of me and I had to park up. Ended up at Dunnottor. I'm up to Dingwall on Saturday so will try to visit another part of the north east coast. I presume the Salmon have stopped running so no dolphins
Simon

Instead of north east coast- have you beeen to Glen Strathfarrar?

This weekend is the last vehicle access for non mountaineeering club this year. Glen is private and doesn't open till 9AM but not a major isssue photo wise as sunrise late and by the time sun gets above the yops of trees.

Only 25 vehicle a day allowed but worth it and get in the queue early. If you cant get there then Affric is only a little further on. Coin toss between strathfarrar and Affric as to which one is most beautiful, particularly as the colours are turning.

If you haven;t been and can't make it this weekend then add it for a trip next year.

Simon

This weekend is the last vehicle access for non mountaineeering club this year. Glen is private and doesn't open till 9AM but not a major isssue photo wise as sunrise late and by the time sun gets above the yops of trees.

Only 25 vehicle a day allowed but worth it and get in the queue early. If you cant get there then Affric is only a little further on. Coin toss between strathfarrar and Affric as to which one is most beautiful, particularly as the colours are turning.

If you haven;t been and can't make it this weekend then add it for a trip next year.
Jim

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a cracking place and I'll see what the weather is like on the Sunday as it might be worth a visit

These are utterly incredible.
Cheers, even a hint of some reflections for your tastes
A cracking set of images Simon, some lovely light and well chosen shutter speeds.
Thanks. It has certainly made me think about how I go about my photography. Saying in the same spot for a long time rather than jumping in the car gives you more time to look at angles etc and be there when the light arrives

Cheers, even a hint of some reflections for your tastes

Thanks. It has certainly made me think about how I go about my photography. Saying in the same spot for a long time rather than jumping in the car gives you more time to look at angles etc and be there when the light arrives

100% - on both. You're best to arrive early, there is no such thing as too early, and really work the location. Even with familiar spots you can still unearth new compositions and the position of clouds, light, shadow are never the same each time.

These are maybe the best pictures of this place ever taken - or maybe @Steelo effort takes the win, tough call - but they are a class above anything I've taken here.

100% - on both. You're best to arrive early, there is no such thing as too early, and really work the location. Even with familiar spots you can still unearth new compositions and the position of clouds, light, shadow are never the same each time.

These are maybe the best pictures of this place ever taken - or maybe @Steelo effort takes the win, tough call - but they are a class above anything I've taken here.
Thanks for your kind words. They are the best I have taken that is for sure. To be compared to Martin's work is very high praise indeed. I'm pondering another location this week and I may do the same again and stay for hours looking and thinking while I wait for the light.

Beautiful set Simon Absolutely freekin beautiful I love them all ..a dererved round of applause :clap: :clap:

I have to admit I thought you had only taken 1 photo at first and my initial thought after seeing the first shot was "Now why didn`t he stand further back" .

So then came number 2 I thought "hmmmm really nice ,love that""

Number 3 ""Geeez this guy is a flucky lucker"" to have gotten these shots

Number 4 WOW .

Number 5 definitely my favourite ..

Number 6 ""Damn I hate you right now""

Coho-Blue

Beautiful set Simon Absolutely freekin beautiful I love them all ..a dererved round of applause :clap: :clap:

I have to admit I thought you had only taken 1 photo at first and my initial thought after seeing the first shot was "Now why didn`t he stand further back" .

So then came number 2 I thought "hmmmm really nice ,love that""

Number 3 ""Geeez this guy is a flucky lucker"" to have gotten these shots

Number 4 WOW .

Number 5 definitely my favourite ..

Number 6 ""Damn I hate you right now""

Coho-Blue
You have made me laugh, blush and feel a bit humble. Cheers

These are so darn good Simon I came back for a second look at them and also to ask you a question if you dont mind, which is . Are some of these shots taken with mulitiple exposures ie 1 longer exposure for the motion of the sea and another normal exposure for the Lighthouse/Sky ?

It Looks to my novice eyes that in some of the images the sea is exposed for a longer time as the clouds in those particular images dont have that streaked effect ..

Coho-Blue

These are so darn good Simon I came back for a second look at them and also to ask you a question if you dont mind, which is . Are some of these shots taken with mulitiple exposures ie 1 longer exposure for the motion of the sea and another normal exposure for the Lighthouse/Sky ?

It Looks to my novice eyes that in some of the images the sea is exposed for a longer time as the clouds in those particular images dont have that streaked effect ..

Coho-Blue
All single exposures Harry. You should get the times on Flickr. It was blowing a hoolie so the clouds were moving during exposures. I probably have some short shutter speeds with the same framing that I can drop in but I was happy enough with the effect in the sky.

Simon

We were there a few weeks ago.
Great place that I'll definitely be going back to.
Highly recommended!!

Excellent set, number three for me :)

1 & 3 superb, but all really great shots. Excellent work.

2, 3 and the last one for me. Great set. Moon lit or sunset might also be interesting.

2, 3 and the last one for me. Great set. Moon lit or sunset might also be interesting.
Here was the last time I shot it at sunset and night. If you ever go up their for astro it is worth looking for the big ships going behind the lighthouse as you can get a nice glow that I think really works. The shot taken at sunset had the whole of the sky behind me bright red/pink and the glow on the lighthouse was amazing. It is a shot that got away as I never caught what it looked like in real life. Might go back and process again now I have a little more skill.

Rattray Head Lighthouse by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Rattray Head Lighthouse Glowing by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Very nice. I've never mastered the dark art of astro. What is back lighting the lighthouse in the first image?

Very nice. I've never mastered the dark art of astro. What is back lighting the lighthouse in the first image?
It is a container ship passing by on the horizon. I was cursing it at the time but it was the best image I took that night. Astro is good fun and a real challenge. Give it a go

Back