RAW conversion

Photodiva

Foot elevated on the stool
Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
OK. Rummaged in the loft, found empty boxes! Finally found the DPP disk from my 20D, so installed it, got the updater, think its now installed the latest version of DPP 3.9.2. Opened one of the raw files that I'd done in ACR and converted it in DPP. Unfortunately DPP doesn't seem to want to open into Photoshop, so saved it as a 8bit TIFF. Cropped identical bit into 300x300 and saved as jpg. My instant opinion is that the DPP is less noisy. What do you think?
DPP conversion

ACR conversion

Last edited:
Less noisy and better colours to my eyes, but that may well be down to how you use both programs. DPP is more intuitive in its conversion settings, whereas ACR can be a complete pig, and it's very easy to get settings slightly off; hence my harping on about LR, because it uses the ACR engine but gives you a better interface.

The probable reason that DPP can't find Photoshop is that PS isn't in the computers path file, which is how a PC looks for a program without resorting to shortcuts.

There are two workarounds for this:

You can either add PS to your path file by following the instructions in here:

http://ss64.com/nt/path.html ( a bit techy, but you should get the jist)

Or you can use DPP's batch processing tool, which allows you to input the location of the image editor which you want to use in the bottom panel - just click on browse and then navigate to the PS exe file (PC version).

I'd usually tend towards a 16bit Tiff for editing as that will give you more data to work on, but if you are only doing basic editing then an 8bit may well be fine.

Its definitely cleaner! (y)

I've used a lot of software over the years, and while I love CS3/4 for the usual conversions and tweaking, DPP has proven to me time and time again that it simply converts high ISO images far cleaner than anything else!

Glad you're seeing an improvement!

Hmm.. Would that work on Mac?

Do you mean would DPP work on mac? I think the mac version is bundled as well?

Do you mean would DPP work on mac? I think the mac version is bundled as well?

No. Sorry, I was referring to Mark's post about "You can either add PS to your path file by following the instructions in here:

http://ss64.com/nt/path.html ( a bit techy, but you should get the jist)"

I should have quoted it. Isn't that just for PC?

DPP works fine on the Mac.

Yup it was for PC's - I don't do the dark side! :D

It sounds as though you've got it sorted out now from your comments on the other thread?

Back