RAW+Jpeg?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Before it starts - I dont want to start another RAW vs JPEG debate.

Instead, i'm more interested in who adopts the strategy of shooting both?

I've always shot RAW only, but to be honest I do get fed up of all the post processing sometimes, and i'm thinking about adopting a new strategy of RAW+Jpeg. If the Jpeg is good, great i'll use it, if its not quite right I have the RAW file to edit.

thoughts? what do the rest of you do?

I used to shoot both as my software didn't have the ability to preview what the RAW was so without a corresponding jpeg I would have to open the file to know what it was...

But now I have a raw preview so I don't bother anymore....I only used to shoot a RAW + a tiny little jpeg...

yeah, part of me thinks it might be a good idea
another part of me thinks its just more of a PIA, 2 versions of every file, and would I ever just be satisfied leaving the jpeg as is.

yeah, part of me thinks it might be a good idea
another part of me thinks its just more of a PIA, 2 versions of every file, and would I ever just be satisfied leaving the jpeg as is.

It used to take me an age to process RAWs but honestly the more you do it the quicker your get at least that's my experience so if you prefer RAW keep shooting RAW would be my advice

Thanks Matt, I think you have confirmed my decision.
btw any news on a confirmed midlands meet?

Not just yet, I'll wait till the weekend and start a poll

For Canon users. Unless you need the jpeg instantly then shoot raw only and use DPP to process them in batch mode using default settings. That will produce jpegs identical to those the camera would have produced if you'd shot raw+jpeg.

I presume Nikon software will do the same.

I do both. The wife likes me to take photos of her showing her horse, so she puts some of the Jpegs on Facebook that evening and I fiddle with them in my own time.

Pointless question. Just do what you need to do for your own purposes - only you knows what they are.

... i'm thinking about adopting a new strategy of RAW+Jpeg. If the Jpeg is good, great i'll use it, if its not quite right I have the RAW file to edit.

That's exactly how I work, always have and always will

I'm shooting a wedding at the weekend for a friend, I'll be shooting raw on the CF & jpeg on the SD of my 5D3 so I can get the shots done how I want them and show the jpegs off on a tablet later on at the reception. If the weather is nice and sunny the church will be nice and light (it's got 6 massive windows) so I might be able to use some of the jpegs if they're good enough instead of processing all the raws.

I tend to shoot all RAW as I enjoy the PP work - some cameras like the newer Fujis though I've heard have excellent JPGs straight out the camera so im guessing it depends how good the JPGs coming out are compared to your own personal tastes.. (y)

I've just got an eyefi mobi card so if i need to use pictures quickly, say for social media, I'm going to shoot RAW to card 1 and JPEG to the wifi card.
Otherwise, just RAW.

I almost do this.. Though on a 40D I only have one slot.

I shoot Raw and Small JPG, so the jpg uploads to my Tablet whilst out and about, so I can either see them straight away or upload to Facebook..

I shoot RAW + JPEG when i'm shooting for friends and family, because they useally want every photo I have taken. If i'm shooting anything else Im always shoot only raw, so I can keep the burst up

Pointless question. Just do what you need to do for your own purposes - only you knows what they are.

Blimey, wind your neck in.

Op was asking a question and is genuinley interested to hear the experiences/advice of others. If you think it is so pointless, why bother responding?

FWIW, OP, I only shoot RAW, but this is only because I dont need to send or use the images 'now'. I have to time to go through them and edit accordingly. Sometimes it may only be really minor edits, but at least I have the option to do more if needed.

I just thought I'd add a little more to what I've previously said, there are very rare occasions where I will shoot just jpeg in fact only recently to satisfy my own boredom I shot a time lapse film of my back garden that consisted of a little over 3000 frames, now I knew I didn't want to stop to change cards, I also knew I had no intention to actually process the files or use them for anything beyond my own curiosity, so these were all shot in the smallest full quality jpeg my camera can produce the was something like a 1200x800 ish image, basically it's a tiny little photo barely over 1mp but perfect for my use that day as it mean even my little 16gb card could still take over 10,000 photos

But generally it shoot the largest RAW available to me as it means I get the most amount of information I could possible get from a file

It depends on what I'm shooting...

Landscapes - Raw Only

Holidays - Raw+ (Raw & jpg) - IQ isn't necessarily critical so jpg saves me editing every single photos I take which is a plus for me

Simon

i shoot both if im doing some studio work. The SD card is one of those eyefi things so i have jpegs going to that and raws to the CF. The eyefi then transmits the jpegs off to my tablet for previewing with the models. Works really well.

I did exactly the OPs proposed strategy for a while, then went Raw only. I'm raw only still at present, though the camera is so good at JPEG and Lightroom is so crap at raw from it that I may well switch back to both again soon, or at least make a lot more use of the in camera converter.

I tend to shot RAW and Jpeg, as the Jpegs don't really take up too much extra space. I find them particularly useful if shooting panos/stiching/hdr. I'll quickly process the Jpeg version to see if the shot has worked, before processing the RAW version properly.

I shoot both only if I'm printing on site. jpg to let the camera do some work so my prints come out ok and then when I get home, I'll process the raws to get them online to make some additional sales due to the image improvementS via post processing. Other than that, just raw.

I used to shoot raw only... Brand new mac pro with 12mp and speed was lightning fast.

The mac, 5 years on and 25mp pictures, all is much much slower.
I shoot raw+ the smallest lowest quality JPEG. The speed to do a quick crop and rating in lightroom is night and day, especially in event photos when coming home with a 1000+ pics.
Im trying to set-up photosmith or lightroom mobile on my ipad to do the initial selections with the jpegs so I can then just import the Raws as needed.

Back