Raw problems in CS3

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently started taking my photos in RAW.After processing my images in CS3 i change mode to 8 bit and save as Jpeg. when I try to open them I get a message " Could not complete your request as it is the wrong kind of document" can anyone help.

Pete

The best way to save RAW as JPEG is to go to 'Save for Web & Devices', you can optimize the file size by its quantity :)

The best way to save RAW as JPEG is to go to 'Save for Web & Devices', you can optimize the file size by its quantity :)

The only problem with doing "save for web" is that you will lose exif data.
I'm just wondering why you change mode to 8 bit and then save as jpeg. I just save the file as jpeg.

Yes you will lose the EXIF data but you will still have RAW file, in the end you will have the RAW file with EXIF data and JEPG file :)

Yes you will lose the EXIF data but you will still have RAW file, in the end you will have the RAW file with EXIF data and JEPG file :)

But better to have the RAW file with EXIF and the jpeg with EXIF. When posting on the forum it's nice to include exif data for others to check what you have done, and to offer improvements, or maybe learn from you.

Actually if you save JPEG with 'Save As' you will have the massive size to be saved. The 'Save for Web & Devices' reduces the size, and makes life more easy! :)

If you look at the file with something other than a image manipulation software does it look normal?
Is there a jpg suffix?
Can you right click and then open it in a browser?

Actually if you save JPEG with 'Save As' you will have the massive size to be saved. The 'Save for Web & Devices' reduces the size, and makes life more easy! :)

Its better to do the following and preserve your exif.
  1. Image, Image size, type new size into dialogue box, easier to set as percentage, for example 33%, 50% etc.
  2. Then file, save as, jpeg, and choose quality.

@ Barbara:

Changing the mode from 16 bit to 8 bit in PS CS3 is necessary to allow the larger range of file formats (including Jpeg).

@ Dean:

You seem to want to add complication by using an external program (perhaps because you want to stick to 'save for web' approach?) when all the necessary steps to achieve the OP's requirement can be done within CS3.

I just looked in PS CS3 at a 27mpix Tif and at a quality setting of 10 this reduced to a Jpeg file size of 2.2mb. At a quality setting of 5 is was down to 748kb.

If smaller sized images with high quality settings for Jpegs are desired, then Barbara's method (above) will fit the bill perfectly.

Anthony.

@ Barbara:

Changing the mode from 16 bit to 8 bit in PS CS3 is necessary to allow the larger range of file formats (including Jpeg).

I agree Anthony but the reason for the query is that when you save the RAW file inside CS3 as a jpeg it automatically converts it to 8 bit. It does in mine anyway, so I didn't understand why the OP was converting it first.

Anthony, with your 27 mpix, go save with the 'Save for Web & Devices', use the JPEG high. Then tell me how much the size is :)

Anthony, with your 27 mpix, go save with the 'Save for Web & Devices', use the JPEG high. Then tell me how much the size is :)

Well, I don't know how this is relevant but...

Firstly, I get a warning pop-up along the lines of ... "the image exceeds the size 'Save for Web' was designed for do you want to proceed?" And being an adventurous chap I plough on and a max. Jpeg comes in at around 5mb. Is that good, bad, er... what?

Of course this doesn't address the issue of exif data stripping.

Anthony.

I agree Anthony but the reason for the query is that when you save the RAW file inside CS3 as a jpeg it automatically converts it to 8 bit. It does in mine anyway, so I didn't understand why the OP was converting it first.

I am puzzled now; I can save a DNG file from ACR as a jpeg with various quality levels and consequently different file sizes (6.5mb for max. quality and 0.9mb for medium for example). But if I take the DNG file @ 16-bits into PS CS3 from ACR, then I have a working file of c.72mb and I cannot 'Save' or Save As' in jpeg format, just PSD of Tif plus one or two esoteric formats I have never used. :shrug:

The obvious answer to creating suitable sized pictures complete with the exif detail intact is in fact, of course, the one you gave above. :)

Anthony.

Back