Raw thumbnail viewer for Windows 7 ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have software that will allow me to edit my nef files ie lightroom but i find it a pain not to be able to see the thumbnail preview in windows so I can quickly locate the image i want to outside of lightroom.

Has anyone found a codec that will allow me to see nef thumbails in windows 7 ?

tia,
Mike.

They seem to show up in Picasa 3.

Not sure what camera you use, so may not be relevant, but Nikon have a nef codec on their website which allows viewing of thumbnails on windows 7.

Just had to get the Canon Codec for myself.
Hopefully this is what you're after for your Nikon.

Clicky

Paul

I have software that will allow me to edit my nef files ie lightroom but i find it a pain not to be able to see the thumbnail preview in windows so I can quickly locate the image i want to outside of lightroom.

I'm curious as to why you would want to do this, I would find it massively slower to find a particular image by looking through windows file manager instead of using Lightroom - both Keywords and Dates are extremely powerful and dead easy & quick to use. And quite apart from that, once you've found your desired NEF in windows, what are you going to do with it...um...load it into Lightroom?

(genuine question, just wondering if I'm missing something...)

I'm in the same boat.

I run Windows 7 x 64 bit, the only place I can see NEF (RAW) thumbnail images is in ViewNX 2.

What really puzzles me is, if I can see them in ViwNX 2 than why can't I see them in PSE9 :thinking: The software must be on my computer.

One day perhaps Nikon will produce a 64 bit codek

D in W

I'm in the same boat.

I run Windows 7 x 64 bit, the only place I can see NEF (RAW) thumbnail images is in ViewNX 2.

What really puzzles me is, if I can see them in ViwNX 2 than why can't I see them in PSE9 :thinking: The software must be on my computer.

One day perhaps Nikon will produce a 64 bit codek

D in W

The Windows codec is only for viewing thumbnails in windows explorer and opening raw files in a windows viewer.

PSE9 should open raw files from you D5100 if you have updated to Camera Raw 6.4.1. Get the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5107

I'm curious as to why you would want to do this, I would find it massively slower to find a particular image by looking through windows file manager instead of using Lightroom - both Keywords and Dates are extremely powerful and dead easy & quick to use. And quite apart from that, once you've found your desired NEF in windows, what are you going to do with it...um...load it into Lightroom?

(genuine question, just wondering if I'm missing something...)

I'm with you on this one - surely Lightroom must be the easiest and fastest way to locate and view RAW files, at least if you've taken the trouble to set things up properly in the first place!

I download my images directly to an external hard drive, then immediately import into Lightroom. Next step is to assign relevant keywords. After that, finding any image is a doddle.

The Windows codec is only for viewing thumbnails in windows explorer and opening raw files in a windows viewer.

PSE9 should open raw files from you D5100 if you have updated to Camera Raw 6.4.1. Get the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5107

Thanks Mike, I have Camera Raw 6.4.1. already installed.

PSE9 will open my NEF (RAW) files but will NOT show the thumbnails without a 64 bit codek

ViewNX 2 will open NEF files and will show NEF thumbnails.

Wanted Nikon 64 bit codek for Windows 7 X 64 bit.

D in W

Thanks Mike, I have Camera Raw 6.4.1. already installed.

PSE9 will open my NEF (RAW) files but will NOT show the thumbnails without a 64 bit codek

ViewNX 2 will open NEF files and will show NEF thumbnails.

Wanted Nikon 64 bit codek for Windows 7 X 64 bit.

D in W

In that case you will have to buy the Ardfry or Fastpictureviewer codec. I paid for the Fastpictureviewer one and it works very well.

I agree with you that it is poor of the camera manufacturers (not only Nikon) that they do not provide 64 bit Windows codecs.

why not just use the 32 bit codec on your 64 bit operating system and view them through windows gallery and have thumbnails if you want to do it that way

Try the Faststone image viewer out of this little lot. Very good, fast and FREE. You can also do minor bits of editing:-

http://www.faststone.org/

There are other tools in there that are useful, particularly the re-sizing tool.

Thanks all - seem at this stage no 64bit codec is available :-(

As for Lightroom i don't always import every picture into it, only the ones i wish to work one.

Sometimes it's handy just to have a quick purge at the windows level then import the keepers at a later date..

In that case you will have to buy the Ardfry or Fastpictureviewer codec. I paid for the Fastpictureviewer one and it works very well.

Yup. I can't believe that so many people will jump through hoops to avoid paying a tenner for a bit of software that fixes their problems.

GET THE FASTPICTUREVIEWER CODECS

Yup. I can't believe that so many people will jump through hoops to avoid paying a tenner for a bit of software that fixes their problems.

GET THE FASTPICTUREVIEWER CODECS

Back