RAW

Edit My Images
No
HELP....

Right, Canon 400D owner, and 1st time with RAW. What do I need regarding software. Can anyone help me with what I need to do to get my pictures in ready for editing in PS. Cheers.

Be gental... ;)

PS will let you edit RAW files but you may need an up to date RAW plugin.

Alternatively you can use RawShooter Essentials which is free to convert to .tif or .jpg (apparently this does not support the 400D, info supplied by EOSAddict (y) )

Then there's always PS Elements
or Canon Camera RAW.

They all convert from RAW to TIFF/JPG/.... with varying degrees of success.

(I confess I use PS2)

Adobe Lighroom is your best bet. Fingers crossed they wont price it like Photoshop CS2 when they release it.

Thanks for the headsup EOSAddict - I've made a comment in the original post (y)

HELP....

Right, Canon 400D owner, and 1st time with RAW. What do I need regarding software. Can anyone help me with what I need to do to get my pictures in ready for editing in PS. Cheers.

Be gental... ;)

The Canon software (DPP) is quite useful in that it lets you select "picture styles" which is a feature in camera. Unfortunately it's not a very nice piece of software to use IMO. I tend to use a combination of DPP and Photoshop Camera Raw :shrug:

Lightroom now incorporates some of RSE/RSP engine at Beta 4 release since Adobe took over Pixmantec.... hopefully the shrink-wrap of LR will include even more.

Quite like Lightroom myself (what I've used in the beta atleast), anyone know when its due for release?

No idea on the release date, which is a pain as I'm planning to switch my workflow to it once I get my free upgrade :) but don't want to rely on a Beta at the moment... A shame because LR seems to do colours better than RSP

Was talking to a guy at apple and he was talking about LIghtroom as I was saying I liked it better than Aperture. He said (I have not verrified as yet) that it looked like they were going to bundle lightroom with CS2. Sounds like a good plan but they still need to offer it to people who already have CS2 (or me who just doesn't need that powerhouse).

Quite like the interface and it works is the main thing, just Adobe rarely do cheap software so Im preparing myself for the shock - if it ever gets released ;)

Was talking to a guy at apple and he was talking about LIghtroom as I was saying I liked it better than Aperture. He said (I have not verrified as yet) that it looked like they were going to bundle lightroom with CS2. Sounds like a good plan but they still need to offer it to people who already have CS2 (or me who just doesn't need that powerhouse).

Apple? You mean Adobe?

I'd be surprised if they did as LR is a whole different ballgame and they would be missing out on a whole new revenue stream as a result. LR is supposed to be end-to-end DAM.

Hi,

I shoot RAW about 95% of the time, and I use the software I got with the camera ! The only problem I find with it, that it is alittle slow...or maybe it's me getting alittle old !

Thanks,

Paul

Hi
Have a look at THE ART OF RAW CONVERSION By Ewe Steinmuller & Jurgen
Gulins.

Found this to be very helpful and up to date including using lightroom.

You can buy it from www.outbackphoto.com for $39 (about £21).

Cheers
Big Malc

I have just downloaded Lightroom, and it's incredible.

For free software (even beta development) it's very very well specified, easy to use, and the results are nothing short of amazing.

Back