RawShooter Essentials 2006 Released

Matt said:
It has a default sharpen built in for each camera that it supports.
It is supposed to be set at the optimum setting for conversion as default.
If you do not wish to apply sharpening at the RAW stage move the sliders to the left so it gives a reading of -50.

Well that's ok but assume I want to add a bit of sharpening? As I said earlier I can sharpen to my hearts content in BB without these artifacts showing up.
I wonder if someone could process a file in RSE (not P) on it's default settings and post a small clip for comparison?

I was curious how all the different software handled noise so I processed the same shot in RSE (2005), C1 Pro and Adobe Camera Raw.

I took an underexposed shot and boosted it by 3EV in RSE and ACR and 2.5EV in C1 Pro, because C1 only goes up to 2.5. Interestingly, despite only going up to 2.5, C1's image was brighter than the other two. But the real differences were in the image noise.

ACR and RSE had the same basic 'pattern' for the noise (you start to see the individual red/gree/blue bits appearing) but ACR had far more noise. C1 had a completely different pattern. It was almost like posterisation, rather than noise.

As for which did the best job out of RSE and C1 (I'm discounting ACR since it was the same pattern as RSE but noisier) it's largely personal preference and I'd urge anyone to try the same test as they are very different indeed. C1's image looked messier to me but it really does depend on what you prefer. Sorry I'm not posting pics but I'm at work and didn't have time to do grabs last night.

barrymoir said:
......ive found a huge difference in speed of converting the raw files, the quickness of images opening in RSP compared to cs raw
That was a major reason for me ditching CS2 for RSP :thumb:

regards

Capture one and RSE/RSP were all developed by the same guy, Michael Jonsson.

Capture one is regarded as the leading RAW converter in pro circles,
but it isn't the easiest to use.

RSE/RSP is regarded as a new milestone when it comes to RAW converters,
and it was designed to be simple to use as a world class product.

After trying all of the RAW converters available:

Bibble
C1
Breezebrowser
Irfanview
PS CS
RSE
RSP

I've found RSP gives me the best results, in the quickest time at an affordable price.
It was also the easiest to get to grips with.

here are two both @ 200%

#1 auto settings
rse_ex1.jpg

#2 with sharpening switched off
rse_ex2.jpg

Tried to get the same

Thanks Matt, that's just weird. Maybe it has something to do with the camera profile it uses?

fingerz said:
... I just take the view that when a company releases an update to some software, they ought to release documentation saying what's been upgraded since the previous version...

Found it:

What is new since version 1.1.3
New functionality and improvements:
- Performance and Quality optimizations
- Support for the RawShooter Color Engine add-on
- User-selectable Thumbnail appearances
- Image magnifier (Right-click menu / Alt+M)
- Color clipping settings
- Hot pixel/pattern noise suppression slider
... and bug fixes

Additional camera compatibility:
- Canon EOS-5D
- Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
- Nikon D50
- Nikon D200
- Minolta Dynax 5D
- Minolta Alpha Sweet Digital
- Olympus E500
- Sony DSC-R1
- Panasonic DMC-LX1
- Panasonic DMC-FZ30
- Pentax *ist DL
- Pentax *ist DS2
- Leica DMR R9
- Leica DMR R8
- Leica D-LUX 2

HTH :)

Just noticed something I really don't like about RSE 2006.

You know when you click on a thumbnail and the initial preview is very blocky, then after a couple of seconds it looks fine? Well RSE 2005 used to save the last two images, so you could flick between them and compare the sharpness.

RSE 2006, however, only saves the last one, so every time you flick between images you get the blockiness, making it hard to compare sharpness. Quite annoying.

I never use the sharpen tool within the raw software, id goto ps and do that or use focus magic, which i think is so superior and better its unreal

Back