Raynox question

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Ok So I have had a few quid back from Canon and am looking to squander it invest it in some Raynox close up lens adapters
Have had a wander around t'internet I am even more confused :bang:
Would some kind soul like to explain in idiot proof language the differences?
There is MSN (Various) and DCR (various) and CM-(Kits)They all look alike to me :thinking:
Perhaps someone would even like to write an idiot guide?
Alby ? Scraggs ? anyone?
Please help me spend the cash before the Mrs get there first (she's got enough bloody shoes :D)
Thanks in advance (y)

What lens yo thinking of using the lens on.

I ended up going for the canon 500D due to the fact i wanted it in 72mm so i could screw it on the fron of my 50-200 ZD Zoom. The 500D is supposedly excellent glass and multi element to help control abberations.

If your looking at a smaller diameter then the Raynox 250 and 202 are very good choices, as demonstrated many times by Alby and scraggs,(and others)

Thanks Chilli
Nifty fifty or the "dedicated" 100mm canon macro lens
all within the range of the Raynox adapter

Chris the dcr 150 is the easiest to use and is good for larger things like butterflies and it will give you the most distance between the subject and the lens. the Dcr 250 is twice the magnification of the 150, it too is good for larger insects but the distance is less and the dof is less to. The msn 202 is only good for small or extreme close up stuff and the dof is waffer thin the distance between is less again, it is also the hardest to use out of the 3. I have all 3 and use the 202 in the winter more as the insects are smaller. If I was to only choose 1 I would go for the 250 as it has pretty good magnification and fairly easy to get on with. If you want any examples PM me and I will do you some. ;)

I had the DCR250 first and came to realise that I could get the lovely pattern on a butterfly's wings.. but not the whole butterfly.
SO I was "forced" :D to purchase the DCR150 so now I have the choice of a close close-up or a more general close-up.

I had the DCR250 first and came to realise that I could get the lovely pattern on a butterfly's wings.. but not the whole butterfly.
SO I was "forced" :D to purchase the DCR150 so now I have the choice of a close close-up or a more general close-up.

That's tough Janice :D
Thanks for your comment (y)

OK this might help others
an email I got from Alby (AJOPHOTOG)
reproduced with his consent BTW, thanks Alby (y)
I have also save for web so there will be a little lossy "factor" to concider

"these are uncropped and had no PP apart from being resized. You will see you have a range between infinity and closest focus but the distance between lens and subject is increased the nearer to infinity you focus. No vignetting occurred using these lenses. Hope this helps you make up your mind".

186.jpg

247.jpg

339.jpg

428.jpg

520.jpg

620.jpg

Where did this appear from, sorry I have only just noticed this thread.
Alby is definately the best person for this as he has all three for a while I believe.
I had the MSN202 but only for a couple of weeks and tbh it's great but only for the small stuff as already said, but if I was to have to buy one again I think I would go for the DCR250 it's middle of the road of the lot, and they are good quality glass so you would be fine to crop a bit.

:D
Where did this appear from, sorry I have only just noticed this thread.
Alby is definately the best person for this as he has all three for a while I believe.
I had the MSN202 but only for a couple of weeks and tbh it's great but only for the small stuff as already said, but if I was to have to buy one again I think I would go for the DCR250 it's middle of the road of the lot, and they are good quality glass so you would be fine to crop a bit.

Thanks for your input scraggs its appriciated (y)

Looks like you got it right Chris. ;)

:D

looks like I will "need" :D the 150 & 250 then with the 202 to follow later when I have had a lot of practice
I "found" the digital toy shop
That seems to be about the best place :shrug:
Do I need to buy a "clip on adapter" for both of the lens "inserts?" they don't seem to sell them seperate as far as I can find
Ta

Chris that comes with the adapters so no but be careful you don't knock them off the end of the lens if you carry the camera over your shoulder. On e-bay £29 delivered and this chap is OK ;) Raynox 250

Thats a big price difference between them two, if you do end up ordering anything from digital toy shop I just checked and the "REBAJAS" code still works and gives you 10% off.

Chris that comes with the adapters so no but be careful you don't knock them off the end of the lens if you carry the camera over your shoulder. On e-bay £29 delivered and this chap is OK ;) Raynox 250

Thats a big price difference between them two, if you do end up ordering anything from digital toy shop I just checked and the "REBAJAS" code still works and gives you 10% off.

Thanks both (y)

I bought a step down ring for mine as I didn't like the awkward fitting universal adapter. I got it from Go4DC on ebay. It worked well and they sent it promptly from HongKong. It's much easier to use with this and it was only £4.99 including carriage.

amazon
DCR250 27.52
DCR150 25.00
Free P&P for orders over £15 :D
Job done (y)

edit cheeky barstewards wanted nearly a tenner P&P obviously not free!
order cancelled

I bought a step down ring for mine as I didn't like the awkward fitting universal adapter. I got it from Go4DC on ebay. It worked well and they sent it promptly from HongKong. It's much easier to use with this and it was only £4.99 including carriage.

I got a 202 and a similar lens but marked as 2x instead of 4x but it is the same size and construction as the 202 rather than being like the 150/250. They were part of a set for a canon compact so didn't have the clip holder. I haven't got round to getting a holder yet but hopefully I can get my brother to bring one from the states in a couple of weeks £7 instead of £24 via digitoyshop ;)

I did think of maybe getting a step down holder instead as I think alby also said he found it better than the clip one. I will definately get the clip if possible as it will be better to sell them if I decide to but I am tempted to get a step down as well for £5.

How long did yours take to come from HK? They are the only people I have seen selling a 37-58 in one step.

I got a 202 and a similar lens but marked as 2x instead of 4x but it is the same size and construction as the 202 rather than being like the 150/250. They were part of a set for a canon compact so didn't have the clip holder. I haven't got round to getting a holder yet but hopefully I can get my brother to bring one from the states in a couple of weeks £7 instead of £24 via digitoyshop ;)

I did think of maybe getting a step down holder instead as I think alby also said he found it better than the clip one. I will definately get the clip if possible as it will be better to sell them if I decide to but I am tempted to get a step down as well for £5.

How long did yours take to come from HK? They are the only people I have seen selling a 37-58 in one step.

It took about 10 days which I didn't think was too bad as anything that comes in the UK by standard post seems to take about 2 weeks where we live.

This is a great thread and saved me asking alot of stupid questions.

But I still have a few:

How does the Raynox, compare against extension tubes ?

I currently only have the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens (although considering upgrading to the IS version) and a chepy Tamron 70-300 which supposedly does 1:2 macro. Based on this what would be a good recommendation.

This is a great thread and saved me asking alot of stupid questions.

But I still have a few:

How does the Raynox, compare against extension tubes ?

I currently only have the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens (although considering upgrading to the IS version) and a chepy Tamron 70-300 which supposedly does 1:2 macro. Based on this what would be a good recommendation.

I don't know how it compares as I only have the Raynox but the reason I bought mine was for convenience, as I don't have to remove the lens. With my step down ring it just screws onto the end of either my 18-55mm or 55-200mm lens.

Good point and its cheaper, so I think it will have to get ordered.

Thanks

Peter

Back