rays of light

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
A light early morning mist was quickly being burnt away by the rising sun as I disturbed this female red deer foraging under a horse chestnut tree. Taken in Bushy Park on Saturday morning.

Very evocative shot, great range of cours and nice silhouette effect.

Thanks everyone.

That is one heck of a shot, I really like the rich colours in this. Wish it was mine!

Thanks for all the kind words. One of those moments when you hope you have enough time to take the photo before the deer bolts.

Stephen

FABULOUS SHOT!!! (yes, I needed to shout that!)

Would love to know more about the 'scene'....were you static/did the deer come to you, did you creep up, what settings did you use, did you auto focus/expose on the deer etc etc. Thanks

These are the kind of shots that got me wanting to do photography. Great atmosphere in that shot just wish I had seen it with my own eyes.

Would love to know more about the 'scene'....were you static/did the deer come to you, did you creep up, what settings did you use, did you auto focus/expose on the deer etc etc. Thanks

I was out in the park looking for the deer, well the stags actually. But as it is only the very start of the deer rut they werent around. I saw the rays of sunlight streaming through the trees, but only saw the deer when I got closer. I backed away before the deer saw me, and tried to move around to the left of the deer to get a better composition. I hadnt moved very far when the deer sensed my presence and looked up. I had already pre-set the aperture, F8, and shutterspeed, 1/1000, knowing, from the last couple of years, that I could rely on the auto-ISO* of the Canon 7D to give me a good exposure. Repeating 'stay where you are are' under my breath, I lifted the camera, composed the image as you see here, (auto)focussed on the deer and took the shot.

*The light changes so quickly at this time of the morning, with the morning mist being burnt off by the rising sun ,that there isnt enough time to repeatedly change the ISO, so I set the optimum aperture and shutterspeed for my lens - the Sigma 150-500 in this case - and then only have to worry about composition.

I love the picture even more now I know exactly what you went through!! Thanks very much for sharing...my heart was beating loud when I was reading your account...I was hoping not too loud to scare the deer off!

500mm FL?

Fantastic, really fantastic!

Back