RCRG Roller Derby Extravaganza

W

whiteflyer

Rainy City Roller Girls held an inter-league bout at their new home venue, on Saturday, becoming what I believe is the first UK league to own their track and not just rent a sports hall. They have been working very hard to get the place ready, and still have a lot of work to do, as can be seen in some of the backgrounds.

All shot with two remote speedlites on stands and triggered by Cactus V5's ( may get a third speedlite to give more shooting opportunities soon. I did change lighting set-up at half-time from pointing down the track to bouncing of the ceiling which was much better.

RSRG-EXTRAV-39-Version2.jpg

RSRG-EXTRAV-52.jpg

RSRG-EXTRAV-95.jpg

RSRG-EXTRAV-156.jpg

RSRG-EXTRAV-179.jpg

The flash works well, really nice and clear.
Caught some good blocking there. :)

Thanks Lynda, still not got the flash perfect, but getting there slowly.

Just been on your flickr page, some nice shots from your latest bout.

I think I prefferd the non flash.. can ya post a simmilar one to compare?

sorry just not a big fan of flash..is the new place that dark? :)

I have NO non flash ones from this bout Tony, and yes it is dark.

To be honest I have yet to see a really good non-flash derby shot, and I know that all the top togs that shoot derby in the USA all use flash (normally portable studio ones like Alien Bees)

Once I get the bouncing off the ceiling sorted I'm hoping the flash shadows will mostly fade away.

Invest in a dembflipit or a diffuse-it Mark....brilliant to add a bit of fill if you have the flash on camera when bouncing...not sure about on lightstands.The diffuse-it is about £12 and the demb about £20, the demb is a US import while the diffuse-it is UK and mine came the next day.

How far are you away from the girls?

To be honest I have yet to see a really good non-flash derby shot.

i thought you did shoot non flash originaly at the other venue..and i thought they where great :)

I've seen Pete's shots were he has not use flash and think they are very good indeed, maybe it's just me that can't get good ultra high ISO shots even with the 1D4 (I always find them very noisy) , something I may have to learn and practice :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these a lot they llok to capture the event well.

The flash power looks a bit strong on the first 2 because of the heavy shadows on the floor, but the rest are fine, and unless the OP had said I doubt most would have known flast was used on the last few.

I find the idea that by using a flash these are some how become a lesser photo to be stupid, flash is just another tool to be used not something to be ashamed of using.

Cheers Everyone.

I've been looking in to high ISO and I need to do some ETTR, but still I'm going to stick with the flash bouncing for now.

Back