Re-booting your life

magicaxeman

An Idiot
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone else ever thought about starting over?

I realised last week just how cluttered my place has become with items I've kept over the years, even when I can use them any more and though I cant do anything about where I live or how I live I can do something about that lot.

So I decided to just keep a few items that are really keepsakes or important items and sell the rest with the idea of starting over and completely de-cluttering my life.

Have you ever thought about doing it or done it? did you regret it or find it worked out really well for you?

I realised last week just how cluttered my place has become with items I've kept over the years, even when I can use them any more and though I cant do anything about where I live or how I live I can do something about that lot.

So I decided to just keep a few items that are really keepsakes or important items and sell the rest with the idea of starting over and completely de-cluttering my life.

Have you ever thought about doing it or done it? did you regret it or find it worked out really well for you?

Yep, you need to be in a forward looking mood when you de-clutter. I have found myself wanting to hang onto all sorts of rubbish. Picking up something that really should have headed for the bin - 'awww, this reminds me of when....'. If you have any doubts, chuck them in a box for 6 months, if you haven't used them by then, off to the charity shop / recycler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh yes. Infact we will be starting over very soon :D

Every time I do the lottery ;)

But I really could do with a major de-clutter at home. I just keep putting off chucking out stuff because "it might come in handy" and I know if I do get rid of something, I'll need it within a couple of days :bang:

After staring a very real possibility of a BSoD in the face a few months ago, I'm getting around to a bit of a reboot. Not a complete clean reinstall, just a general tidying up of loose ends. So far, it's mainly been an exercise in completing jobs that simply weren't possible for me to either do or organise before the illness but I'm also gradually sorting out some old junk that's been around for too long taking up too much space! Missed the recycling this week for a load of magazines but can wait a fortnight. Still got a garage full of carp and a bike that lives outside but once the conservatory's finished, I'll have somewhere for the bike to live!!! (At the moment, the garage is being used as a corridor for the builders to access the back garden, just in case anyone thought the bike would be living in the conservatory...)

I regularly have a clear out, I ask myself "what is the worst thing that will happen if I throw this out?" As someone has already said if you are not sure then leave it a few months and throw it away then :)

This also reminds me of a friend of mine who was moving house for the 4th time.
He said that he was fed up with moving loads of stuff from one loft to another and would not be doing it again.
The new house had a cellar so he put it all down there :D

no need to for me. I don't keep anything i don't need. I've binned loads of stuff in the past and then later down the line thought... hmm, i could have done with that. Unlike my wife who has kept all her cuddly toys since she was a kid in our loft... what the hell for? The last time she looked at them was when we moved house 8 years ago and i daresay the next time will be when we move again. Unless it is something that has been handed down to me (such as my grandad's watch).. once i don't need something, it goes in the bin.

In the months before I moved I either dumped or gave away loads of stuff I no longer wanted or had room for, plus I wanted new stuff for the new place so chucked out or gave to charity shops all the rest
My biggest problem was everytime I gave something away and my ex found out, he wanted it, things he wasn't interested in when he moved finally out !!
In the end I just told everyone I'd thrown things away ;)

In the months before I moved I either dumped or gave away loads of stuff I no longer wanted or had room for

When I moved house about three years ago, I took twelve transit van loads to the rubbish dump.

The most surprising thing wasn't the actual amount of stuff but the realisation that if we weren't moving, we would have kept it!

Steve.

Whoops!! I thought it said " Re-booting your Wife " That would have it`s merits though.

In much the same way as one's spending > one's income, one's space required for junk > space available for junk!

I'm sure I'm not the only person here with a couple of hundred quid's worth of junk in his garage and £x,000s of vehicle parked outside on the drive/road... Since the illness though, at least the RE has lived in the garage (until a couple of days ago when the space was needed as a corridor for the builders) although the cars still live outside. Seriously considering a car/bikeport at the front to keep the bikes dry and the roof crap off the cars!

I remember your illness Nod, I think you had us all worried there for a while, I hope things are much improved now.

I must admit my own clutter hasn't been helped by the death of two of my brothers over the last 10 years, their stuff seemed to get dumped at mine and we're still trying to sort some of it out now!

For me its become even more important as my need for care has grown and I need to prepare for a future that well probably mean live in carers during next 5 years.

Yep, I did it nearly 7 years ago. Got rid of everything apart from a handful of CDs and a Guitar, packed my bags and moved to Switzerland. I had no job to go to, but that didn't matter because I had a place to stay and I had a bit of money (enough to last 6-8 months without work), and instead of frittering it away, which I would have done had I stayed in the UK, I decided I'd do something positive and life changing with it.

I spent the first year more or less learning German, and finally found myself a permanent job after about a year, which incidentally I'm still doing.

To be perfectly honest it was the best thing I ever did, and while I do think back to the good times I had in England, I don't really look back as the life I've managed to forge for myself here offers me more than I could ever have imagined if I was still in the UK.

Speaking with family and friends in the UK, and reading the UK news only serves to reinforce to me that the decision I made was very much the right one.

Back