Re: Help Vista to 7...

Name
fr
Edit My Images
No
I just recently bought a new Notebook that came with Vista, but through the promotion, I have a Windows 7 upgrade coming in the mail. The hard drive came partitioned into 2 drives, a 149 GB and a 137 GB partition. My issue is that I'm concerned that some of my software won't work with 7 as it would with Vista, so my plan is to copy over my C drive in place of my D drive, keep Vista on that one, and upgrade my C drive with the Windows 7. Space isn't an issue since the drives internally are bare, I work out of a 500 GB external hard drive, makes gaming easier between my Notebook and my Desktop back home.

I'm not sure how or if I can copy over drives like that. My goal is to be able to boot out of either drive, so my question is is there to accomplish this easily and without having to spend a bunch on a partition copier?

I went from vista to 7 and the only 2 issues were with some VPN software and DVD packet writing software, both of which were resolved by a update. Download and run this from Microsoft to see if there are any potential issues.

I have just done a upgrade to windows7, I found that some programs that would only run on XP pro now work on win 7 but would not work on vista.I dont think you can copy your vista op onto another HD without using a gost program and if you do gost it onto another Hd make shure it works befor installing win7 onto your c drive. And dont forget to make your back up disc,s so you can go back to vista if you ever need to.I had not put too much on my new desktop but i had to go back to setting it as a new computer befor it would update to win 7

I did a clean install of Win 7 (coming from Vista) and the only thing I needed to do was update the firmware on my optical drives (DVD/CD) as I couldn't burn data until I did (reading was fine). FYI the two drives are Lite-On models and the update was a totally painless procedure consisting of selecting the drive models on the Lite-On site, downloading the files and running said files. Oh, and then rebooting the computer.

Anthony.

Back